Froyo roms increase your battery life......(xda)

Last Updated:

1. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

So I'm not sure if any of you have been reading or trying out some of the SetCPU values a fellow over at XDA is suggesting...

Froyo roms increase your battery life! try this (UPDATE 08/26/2010) - xda-developers

Basically, whatever you want your max to be (700+ish) and setting the min down to 19 (lowest it can go). I remember reading something about it not being good to have your CPU jumping 300+ Mhz, which it clearly would be doing with these values. I would ask over there, but that place kind of scares me :eek: Just wondering if any of the fine, intelligent folks over here have any advice on this. I would love for my eris to idle at 19200 but not at the cost of my battery and/or the phone itself. As always, thanks for any feedback!

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

You'll find theories expressed by knowledgeable people on both sides of the max/min overclocking issue, cmotion. ;)

The old, "ymmv" comes into play so often with tweaking a rooted device that I'm thinking of making it my signature. :D

Run your phone for three days or so with it at one setting. Then (obviously) run it for the same length of time and usage at another setting. ;)

Then decide.. and post your results; phones differ, even the very same model.

Mine is set at 748/528 in 2.2 ROMs and not overclocked at all in xtrROMs; that'll give you an idea of the vast variation from ROM to ROM and from phone to phone. Battery life in the Kaos ROMs is almost as good as in xtrROMs, even with the Kaos clocked higher than 710.

But this Nonsensikal 4.6 I'm testing now seems to draw a lot off the battery with the same settings in the various menus and tweaks as in Kaos. Go figure.

3. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

Ive been running 710/19 today and noticed a slight improvment in batt life. No extra Lag.

4. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Well-Known Member

this is a little bit off topic. I was just about to start a thread about this when I read this one. My amber/green battery light is turning green @ 90% :confused: At first I thought it may have just been a bad restore of my of my battery widget, but then I checked in the settings> status & it confirmed 90% anyone ever heard of this? P.S. I've done several reeboots & bat pulls since i noticed this & it still does it :confused:

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you're rooted, in recovery there is a 'wipe battery stats'. You might give that a try to see if it helps.

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I've been running KFV31 for about 24 hours since the last charge with:

- all the setCPU profiles and advanced tweaks applied,
    - "strict" presets in Autokiller, and
    - 2G switching (after 10 minutes of sleep)

I used my phone rather lightly today. It's now sitting at 60% battery.

Considering how much better that is compared to no "tweaking" at all, I'm happy with that result.

OTOH, I noticed that when I was sleeping (and hopefully my phone is sleeping, too!) that I was dropping about 1% per hour (8% in 8 hrs of sleep). Back in the bad old days of stock Cupcake (Post-January OTA), my Eris would lose only about 2-3% charge overnight.

So, on the whole, I would say I'm pretty satisfied with the results I seem to be getting with current KFV31 - but I can't say that it is better than it ever was before with stock phones.

Also, it's kind of an apples-vs-oranges comparison anyway: the stock phone maxed out at 528 Mhz, and we're comparing it to phones that "burst" up to 700+ Mhz.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way things seem to be going - better "performance", improved software, and decent battery life, too.

eu1

7. Frisco

Your battery and device have lost calibration.

Run the battery completely dead (well, it can't be run completely dead, or it would be useless and could not even display the home screen, let alone boot up the device ;), the battery cannot go totally dead unless damaged or used/aged for years), then charge it to 100%.

That cycle may have to be done a few times before the meter and the battery sync, but it usually takes just once.

Joe Eris likes this.
  8. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

I've actually heard some folks argue that that kind of a jump a really big battery drain. But like Frisco said, ymmv

9. Joe Eris

tried that, no fix :(

10. LED

LED Well-Known Member

This appears to be a KaosFroyo thing... it does it to me as well.

11. Joe Eris

Thanks again Frisco :) you are a wealth of knowlege

12. Frisco

Try draining it to recalibrate it with the phone to the battery as posted earlier. ;)

Also, there are a few apps in Market that address the issue, but I can't for the life of me recall the exact names.. perhaps a search in Market.

13. Frisco

Interesting.. that's a reportable bug it it's showing in more than one device.

But I've never trusted the battery and signal strength meters in any device I've had.. to a point. ;)

14. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I think that this is standard behavior in the cyanogen froyo ROMs (or maybe it is froyo in general). I think it happens as charging switches to trickle charge at 90%. Whatever the reason, this behavior is by design.

I know that this in not authoritative, but see xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM]KaosFroyo V31 [08/25] [FROYO]

15. Frisco

If it's by design it is not working in my 2.2 ROMs; the charge light goes green at 100%, not at anything lower.

16. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Yep, same here.

17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It's the way that it works in Kaos, then. The LED turns green at 90; the battery does continue to charge.

18. Frisco

Perhaps it's a device specific issue, as Kaos ROMs never exhibited such a behavior on my Eris.

I've yet to see it on any ROM, nor was it on my device prior to rooting, in 1.5 or the 2.1 OTA.

19. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Not to overdo it, then let me finish this way: if your phone is doing this in kaos froyo, there is nothing wrong with it. I frankly never paid much attention to it myself, as I only charge it while I am sleeping, and I don't watch to see what color the LED is at any time - I just check to see that it is on, so I know that it is charging - and, because I am sleeping, I don't see what color the LED is at 90%.

20. Toolanddiemaker

Toolanddiemaker Well-Known Member

I'm running KaosFroyo V30 and mine does the same, has since like V24. don't know why it does it, but no big deal.