Froyo root and 2.2 ota coming.. what happens if..

Last Updated:

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With the impending ota update looming in the near future, what would happen if your rooted phone accepts and installs the ota update?

Advertisement
  2. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

Probably what happened when 2.1 OTA came out...I am pretty sure it took off root lol. Just don't do it if you wanna keep root. There was a way to block OTA, but it's been forever since I've had to...can't quite remember.

3. megaera

megaera Well-Known Member

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip Use root explorer or ADB to rename file to otacerts.zip.bak or something to disable OTA updates.

4. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Many custom ROMs will block OTA updates as well, its automatically set for you.

5. Droid_Ninja

Droid_Ninja Well-Known Member

The OTA update will not come if you believe it to not come!

6. montyboy

montyboy Member

OTA 2.2 is a myth anyway. No need for concern. ;)

7. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

I would not go the renaming the cert route. There have been too many conflicting reports of this working or not working, whether it drains battery trying to repeatedly download the update and then fail cuz the cert isn't there, causing power drain. This did not work for me when I was on droid mod 1.0. And besides I didn't realize that it was already taken care of for me in droid mod 1.0 as described below.

If you have clockwork or sprecovery I believe they block ota updates automatically.

So you accept the update when it prompts you but when you get to the recovery screen it blocks the update, and just prompts you to reboot, and you notifications go away.

That is what happened to me on DM 1.0, and sprecovery. Blocked it perfectly.

Joe