Froyo RUU update available

1. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

With this RUU package you can flash your phone to the current official OTA update - i.e. the latest software, radio and bootloader. If you have a branded phone, this will debrand it.

This method doesn't require you to root your phone and it doesn't install any unofficial or modified software. If your phone is currently rooted it will remove it.

If you install an official branded update to Froyo, e.g. Vodafone's, you will not be able to install this.

An alternative installation method that does not need any drivers (or even a computer) is available here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/177907-froyo-2-09-405-8-update-windows-not-required.html

Please note:

- You need a valid goldcard to apply this update to a branded phone

- This will work on all Android 2.1 software versions (HTC release 1.x)

- You need unrevoked3 3.21 to root this version, which has issues for some people.

- This update will completely wipe your phone's settings

To perform the update, back up contacts, messages, etc. with whatever method you prefer. Ensure your goldcard is inserted (if required) and power off the phone. Press the back button and the power button together until the fastboot screen appears. Plug the phone in by USB and run the RUU in Windows.

Download the RUU here:

Shipped ROMs

Note:

Using an RUU is a very safe way to modify your phone's software, but there is always a risk with flashing. Do not touch the phone while it is updating and make sure your battery is full or nearly full before beginning. Orange branded phones have had several issues with updating to generic (unbranded) software. Debranding your phone may invalidate your warranty.

FAQ

Will I receive OTA updates after this?
    You should. You can also apply manual updates by zip files.

Do I need my goldcard for updates?
    If your phone was originally branded you will need the goldcard for all unbranded updates, not just this one.

The RUU process fails.
    It should only fail if you don't have a working goldcard. If you get an error about a 'customer ID', this is because you don't have one.

I get a CID error but I have a goldcard.
    You don't. Try making another.

Can I downgrade my HBOOT to root this?
    No. To root you must use unrevoked3 3.21 or downgrade the phone's software to Android 2.1 using this tool: [HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

UPDATES

There is a leaked branded O2 Froyo update now available. This will install in the same way, except O2 phones will not need a goldcard. If you've previously applied the above debranded update, this will rebrand your phone and you will only receive O2 updates (if any more are released). Rebranding will restore your warranty if you have debranded or rooted your phone. You cannot later install the unbranded RUU above if you install this, without first downgrading your phone to Android 2.1.

Shipped ROMs

HTC has released a new Froyo OTA update. You can install this directly as an RUU. You may need the latest version of HTC Sync for this version. There appear to be a lot of issues installing this RUU due to drivers. I'd recommend you install the earlier version and update OTA to this version (you can do this manually too).

Shipped ROMs

Advertisement
  2. jaseuk

jaseuk Well-Known Member

I guess I must have used a previous RUU, what does this RUU give? Is there a benefit to updating and backingup/re-installing again?
  3. teppic74

This RUU has only just become available. The previous ones installed Android 2.1, this installs Froyo.

If you upgraded OTA this won't bring anything new. But with this RUU you can upgrade from any software version, branded or unbranded.
  4. jaseuk

jaseuk Well-Known Member

Sorry what I meant to say is that I have 2.2 running at the moment, I thought that there was an update to Froyo. I've noticed that this file is quite a bit bigger than the file I used (think I got it from modaco) but the file I got was one of the earlier threads, is it worthwhile updating again?
  5. teppic74

If you rooted your phone and installed a Froyo ROM, this is different. This will flash the latest official ROM (i.e. not rooted and unmodified).
  6. teppic74

Also, since this is an official release it means you'll get further OTA updates from HTC (a goldcard is still required for these). If you root your phone you will not get them.
  7. AliAR

AliAR New Member

sorry about the noob question but what is a gold card? or does it refer to the micro SD card?
  8. R8sm8

R8sm8 Member

In a word, Yes! A "Gold Card" is a SD Memory Card that is specially modified specifically for, and unique to your particular phone.
    YOU do the creating YOURSELF!
    The "gold card", when placed in the phone causes the install process to by-pass the CID check stage during upgrades (etc) installations. It fools your phone to accept certain credentials of the ROM you are flashing/installing.
    Simply put and relevant to you, your phone will think it is unbranded and will accept a RUU (Rom Update Utility) file meant for an un-branded phone. Once the RUU is installled your phone gets all the "soft" characteristics of an un-branded phone, i.e de-branded!
    Like mentioned earlier, you have to (modify the sd card) create the gold card yourself and it is very easy to do.
    A 1GB Crucial card worked fine for me, so you need to get a spare card, or simply use the one already in the phone. If you use your existing card, back up its entire contents to your PC/Laptop prior to commencing the creation process which involves re-formatting the card to Fat 32.
    Some cards tend not to accept the mod, in which case, simply try another card. The simplest method I know of is with the use of a goldcard creator. See below.
    I'm sure that by the time you've checked out various posts here and on other sites such as xda-Developers etc, you will be enlightened.

Checkout GoldCard Tool v0.0.5 @ www.klutsh.com . Instructions to create card are included in the zipped file.

Hope this helps.
    Happy creating!!:D
    Sunray likes this.
  9. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

this is file that a lot of people used to update from 2.1 to 2.2:

OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip

what is the difference between the above RUU and the one posted in this thread?
  10. teppic74

It looks like lots of posts have been lost from the thread.

The difference is that the zip file is an update package only for people running unbranded 1.21.405.2, while this RUU will flash the latest version of HTC's software to any phone, branded or unbranded. It will also recover phones that have booting problems due to bad upgrades.
  11. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member

I put this on my Orange branded HTC desire, I feared something bad was bound to happen like getting locked out, but damn all happened all ran smoothly
  12. teppic74

It seems like the radio included in Froyo is safe to use with Orange branded phones, but I would be prepared to buy a sim unlocking code from ebay just in case.
  13. slugger09

Well mine went ok, but not all may do
  14. Kenty1981

Kenty1981 Well-Known Member

I worked for me on a virgin branded(but unlocked) desire.
  15. japester

japester Well-Known Member

Doesn't work on a voda-bloated phone - well, didnt work on mine anyway :(
  16. teppic74

If it doesn't work it means you don't have a goldcard.
  17. slugger09

I had a goldcard in mine when doing it
  18. japester

I beg to differ - I do have a goldcard, bootloader 0.80.000, and the voda bloated firmware.

I've read about boot loops etc when trying to RUU without a goldcard - I did not get this. Just the incorrect ROM version message IIRC. I did put the full message on here but the post seems to have disappeared after the recent forum downtime.
  19. teppic74

If you post the error message that will give the reason, but I'm certain it will be a CID error, which means you do not have a goldcard.
  20. japester

Error 131: Customer ID Error - Guess thats the CID then - Odd because the goldcard I'm using is the same one that I tried to use for the previous RUU update that wouldnt work due to the ROM version - No CID errors then :(
  21. teppic74

You didn't get a CID error before because you were trying to install an older ROM. You would have got the CID error otherwise. Your goldcard isn't working - try to make another.
  22. teppic74

For information, RUUs make three checks:

1. The signature of the package is valid.
    2. The currently installed software version is not higher.
    3. The CID matches.

The first check cannot be bypassed, meaning all RUUs must be signed by HTC and cannot be modified. The second check can only be bypassed by rooting your phone. The third check can only be bypassed by using a goldcard. The CID is dependent on whether your phone is branded or not, and allows HTC to release updates with different branding on the same phone model.

Since this RUU is signed and has the latest possible software version, it will always pass the first two checks.
  23. 2kfire

2kfire Member

It worked on my Telus Desire :)
    The update itself was a breeze, just like installing ROMs on a Vogue :)
    Making the goldcard, on the other hand, still not too bad but I had to try a few different guides before I got it to work :p
  24. teppic74

25. djbandit

djbandit Member

does any one else know if this works fine with orange branded handsets as ive knackered 4 already and dont want to do another want to get rid of orange rubbish but worried about probs like previous updates