• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo RUU update available

Apologies for this post, but I just want to double check everything.

I am currently using a branded t-mobile desire running 2.1, unrooted.

1) Once I have created a gold card and used it to install 2.2, I can then use my main sd card like usual?
2) If there is an OTA update (which I check for) I can then put the gold card back in and update?
3) If the phone is completely reset, will it pick all of my network settings from my simcard ok?
4) Also, will the phone be debranded officially, so I can use simcards from other providers in the phone?

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Apologies for this post, but I just want to double check everything.

I am currently using a branded t-mobile desire running 2.1, unrooted.

1) Once I have created a gold card and used it to install 2.2, I can then use my main sd card like usual?
2) If there is an OTA update (which I check for) I can then put the gold card back in and update?
3) If the phone is completely reset, will it pick all of my network settings from my simcard ok?
4) Also, will the phone be debranded officially, so I can use simcards from other providers in the phone?

thanks in advance!

1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes (I used this on my TMobile & it picked everything up)
4)No. This only takes the TMobile firmware off and replaces it with the original HTC. To use other simcards you will need to UNLOCK the phone. Which can be done for via ebay or some bloke down the market (there's two down mine:p)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Reflection306
Upvote 0
To go through again, what I did - (hopefully answering some of the questions above)

My phone spec: Orange Branded Desire, Sim locked
PC Spec: Windows 7, 64bit

1. Took my 16Gb sd card out of my phone and formatted it using my PC (full format, not quick format)
2. Inserted sd card back into my phone.
3. INstalled latest HTC Sync on PC (downloaded from HTC)
4. Rebooted PC
5. INstalled Goldcard Helper application on my phone.
6. Ran the program in 5, emailed the code to myself and then
7. Entered the code in the website as linked into the first post.
8. Goldcard img file arrived via email
9. Using the Hex Editor tool described in post 1 I copied the image accross to the sd card.
10. Copied all my songs and other data to my sd card using USB cable - phone connected as disk drive (this step isn't required, I just wanted my music on my phone!)
11. Connected my phone to my PC using USB and entered Sync mode
12. Ran the RUU file as linked to in post one
13. Phone now has Froyo, with no orange branding, but is still sim locked to Orange

As I will be leaving the SD card in that I modified in step 9, all the OTA updates will work just fine.

Reactions: Reflection306
Upvote 0
1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes (I used this on my TMobile & it picked everything up)
4)No. This only takes the TMobile firmware off and replaces it with the original HTC. To use other simcards you will need to UNLOCK the phone. Which can be done for via ebay or some bloke down the market (there's two down mine:p)

Hope that helps!

^^

What he said. Except I had Orange rather than T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I have a few questions for you. I am new to all this (Android), so if you can please bear with me. :)

I live in India (basically, Asia) and I am buying the HTC Desire tomorrow, either from a Grey Market or through an authorized dealer (it JUST got released here).

It will have the stock 2.1 installed on it (it could be anything: generic(1.21.405.2) or even some random, Asian country version 1.21.720.4 (India's))
Basically, my question is,
1. Can I install "http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8_Radio_32.43.00. 32U_5.09.00.20_release_140022_signed.exe" on my cell REGARDLESS of the version of 2.1?

It will be unlocked and unbranded, BTW.

2. Everything will remain official, right? And I will get future updates OTA?
3. I'm assuming I don't need a Gold Card since it's unbranded. Right?

4. What are the risks? Can I brick my phone if something goes wrong?

Thank you so much, everyone!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the notification. :)

How about this, just tell me - yes or no - should I go ahead and apply the "RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8_Radio_32.43.00 . 32U_5.09.00.20_release_140022_signed.exe"
on my unbranded, unlocked, Asian handset regardless of the the version of 2.1 it's running?

Just a yes or no. :p

No. This is the Euro release - if your phone hasn't yet got an OTA upgrade (what with it being unbranded) then there isn't one available for it yet.
The hardware may be different?

Upvote 0
that just seems to give you the reverse CID. What did you do after receiving the emailed img file?

Well, to quote myself...

MyPostEarlier said:
1. Took my 16Gb sd card out of my phone and formatted it using my PC (full format, not quick format)
2. Inserted sd card back into my phone.
3. INstalled latest HTC Sync on PC (downloaded from HTC)
4. Rebooted PC
5. INstalled Goldcard Helper application on my phone.
6. Ran the program in 5, emailed the code to myself and then
7. Entered the code in the website as linked into the first post.
8. Goldcard img file arrived via email
9. Using the Hex Editor tool described in post 1 I copied the image accross to the sd card.
10. Copied all my songs and other data to my sd card using USB cable - phone connected as disk drive (this step isn't required, I just wanted my music on my phone!)
11. Connected my phone to my PC using USB and entered Sync mode
12. Ran the RUU file as linked to in post one
13. Phone now has Froyo, with no orange branding, but is still sim locked to Orange

...see items 9 to 13.

Upvote 0
The goldcard bit of this process looks like a right ball ache. I'm losing my patience with Orange now but feel slightly put off by how involved the process appears.

I'm off to look for a youtube 'how to'....
It really was very simple.
Format your SD card on your PC (full format, not quick format)
Put it back in your phone.
Run the gold card helper app on your phone (available from the market place)
And follow the instructions in the first post.

It took about 2 minutes to create the goldcard.

The longest part of my upgrade was actually formatting the sd card on my PC.

Upvote 0
after you had copied the img file using hex editor and saved this, did you check if the goldcard was correct. You don't mention this in your steps. Seems like you trusted the process and went ahead with the rom flashing.

When I copied the img file using hex, removed and replace card into phone or pc, it shows as unformatted, which seems to indicate a problem.
I've tried 2 methods here: one using goldcard tool and the other using hex - both have given problems as previously described. Have I missed something or is the general wisdom to try a different card?

Upvote 0
after you had copied the img file using hex editor and saved this, did you check if the goldcard was correct. You don't mention this in your steps. Seems like you trusted the process and went ahead with the rom flashing.

When I copied the img file using hex, removed and replace card into phone or pc, it shows as unformatted, which seems to indicate a problem.
I've tried 2 methods here: one using goldcard tool and the other using hex - both have given problems as previously described. Have I missed something or is the general wisdom to try a different card?

If the goldcard hadn't been created properly, then the rom upgrade wouldn't have worked - it would have failed to start - thus no harm done.

If you are getting the card as "unformatted", then you are doing something wrong with the copying of the goldcard image into the first 0x170 bytes of the SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones