• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo RUU update available

If you are getting the card as "unformatted", then you are doing something wrong with the copying of the goldcard image into the first 0x170 bytes of the SD card.

success! after reformatting again, I then went into hex editor and noticed that the goldcard.img was already there and I successfully flashed the phone!

Go figure. Thanks for all the posts.

Upvote 0
jesus christ i try asking a question and people ignore it completley, my phone is rooted do i still need the gold card for the install?????

if you installed the full generic HTC rom then you shouldn't need to use the goldcard again for updates.

and, if i were you, i'd stop crying like a baby just because other members didn't drop what they were doing to help a damsel in distress (yes, i mean you princess).

you really think that makes people want to help you?

Upvote 0
Quick question where I think I know the answer but want to be sure. Will the phone start up if it does not have a goldcard in it?

ie. I make a gold card out of a spare 1gb card I have and flash the phone but for day to day I use the 8gb card that came with the phone.

it will start if you have gold card in or not, you just need the gold card for any ota updates in the future

Upvote 0
Apologies for the Noob question, but... I've used the goldcard helper app and had goldcard.img sent to me by e-mail. I've just dumped this on the top level of the SD card. Is that it? Should I put it somewhere else? Do I need to do anything with it or is that really it? Cheers!

you need to do this:

Creating the GoldCard:

1. Download the GoldCard tool here: [PC Application] GoldCardTool - Android @ MoDaCo
  2. Put the microSD card in your phone and boot it.
  3. Enable USB Debugging on your phone: Go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB Debugging.
  4. Connect your phone to your PC and choose "Disk drive" mode when your phone prompts you.
  5. If using the SD card that came with the phone, copy the existing contents to a folder on your PC
  6. Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
  7. Change phone USB connection in to sync mode ("HTC sync" mode)
  8. Launch GoldCard Tool (Right Click and run as Admin if needed)
  9. Click 'Get CID' (If MMC1 fails try MMC0)
  10. Click the link to open Free HTC android goldcard generator | Phone System Analysis Software - PSAS, enter the CID number from Goldcard Tool (the number starting "00" next to the Get CID button) and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you. (You don't need to sign up to the site, just fill in your email address and captcha)
  11. Enable USB Mass Storage on the device (change back to "Disk drive" mode)
  12. Click 'Refresh' and select your microSD card in the drop down menu.
  13. Click 'Load GoldCard.img' and open the .img file you got by email.
  14. Click 'Patch MMC'

taken from here: Debranding / Unlocking an HTC Desire - The giffgaff community

Reactions: turbohobbit
Upvote 0
Quick question where I think I know the answer but want to be sure. Will the phone start up if it does not have a goldcard in it?

ie. I make a gold card out of a spare 1gb card I have and flash the phone but for day to day I use the 8gb card that came with the phone.

Short answer yes. Longer answer, there is no reason why you can't goldcard both of your cards and then the ota updates will work fine as you leave the card in.

Upvote 0
formatting will wipe the card clean of all files, so backup the contents to your pc first.

once you have made the gold card, you can copy your backed up files back onto it, and it will still be perfectly useable in the same way as before. if you use your goldcard as your sdcard you should be able to download future OTA updates as well without having to swap cards.

Reactions: Quintonir
Upvote 0
Just a quick question...

Would there be any reason why you would NOT want to keep your goldcard as your "regular" card that you use day to day?

That way, you'll always be able to pick up any OTA updates...

Anything I'm missing...?

nope. you only missed this info a few posts above yours:

...there is no reason why you can't goldcard both of your cards and then the ota updates will work fine as you leave the card in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones