Froyo this, Froyo that..

Last Updated:

1. llessur

llessur Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious why Froyo seems to be so popular among Android threads. I understand that we don't have it yet for the Capp.. I almost said the dreaded word. :D I mean Captivate.

Anyone have any experience using Froyo on another phone? What is so great about it?

What's your top five best things about Froyo?

Advertisement
  2. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

Performance improvements
    Battery improvements
    Full Flash support
    More fully featured Exchange mail support
    Wifi hotspot

3. Steemax

Steemax Well-Known Member

^This! except I highly doubt the Official release will have WiFi hotspot since AT&T is such a generous and giving company *sarcasm off*

Sooo hopefully we'll have some amazing custom roms waiting for us in the near future :D

4. Autolysis

Autolysis Well-Known Member

Nah, they'll have a wifi hotspot, heck the iPhone can be tethered. They just require you to be on the 2 Gb data plan...

AT&T is going to love charging $10 per gigabyte for wifi hot spot. lol

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

im hoping frozen yogurt will give us the ability to take screen shots!

6. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

if you're rooted... there's an app for that.

7. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

This. Don't forget the Captivate has another 256 of memory waiting to be unlocked. ;)

Froyo deserves the attention it gets. Next month couldn't come soon enough.

8. Autolysis

Esplain, or else! :D

9. kbanes

kbanes Member

I can't get my company email if my phone doesn'y have the ability to put a pin code on my phone account. WinMo does it, iPhone does it, Blackberry does it.

Android only does it under Froyo.

So, no Captivate for me until 2.2

(But to tell the truth, I'm actually going to wait until WinMo7 hits the street in December. Then I will choose between Captivate, WinMo, and Dell Streak, if it is on Froyo by then.)

10. Tinyboss

Tinyboss Active Member

The Captivate has 512MB of RAM, but Android 2.1 and below can only access 256MB of it. Froyo can use all of it.

Autolysis likes this.
  11. Autolysis

Oh that's lame. I was hoping that the captivate secretly had 768MB of RAM.

Didn't know 2.1 could only access 256 MB. :(

12. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

not rooted but do it via usb way

13. llessur

llessur Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the replies! It looks like Froyo has some great stuff for us Captivate users. I wonder why 2.1 limits our RAM? You think that is another ATT restriction or is that common? That's gonna be nice to have all 512!

14. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

It's an Android limitation. As to why, well I don't know specifically why they choose to only support 256mb of RAM up until this point, but given the fact that we're talking about a freaking PHONE here the fact that we have 512mb of ram is pretty amazing to begin with.

Also, if you go into your system info it indicates that we can use 325mb of RAM. I'm not sure if that's incorrect or if Samsung implemented some kind of hack - but it begs the question, why if they did implement some kind of hack why stop there as opposed to writing in access to the full 512mb.

What battery improvements is 2.2 supposed to bring?

15. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

Froyo hopefully will bring some much needed speed increases. But don't let the hype get out of control. Read up on the HTC Desire and EVO forums where Froyo has been released. There are issues that come with Froyo such as the borking of the aac+ codec (streaming audio from sites such as Pandora is now supposedly unlistenable). Google has acknowledged the issue and hopefully there will be a fix by the time Froyo gets to the Cap. There are other issues (some see worse battery life) and some are even reverting back to 2.1 Eclair.

16. Autolysis

I'm surprised Google released the update if they were having seemingly major problems... wow

Hopefully they'll get everything fixed in the next month or so.

17. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

I'm sure AT&T will allow wifi tethering for the extra 20 dollars a month they charge for usb tethering and if you are on a capped data plan. No worries though, it isn't like it is hard to enable wifi tethering now on your phone and I'm sure that we will be able to get around the $20 a month fee, I mean, if you can do it with ios, I'm certain you can do it with android.

18. JoyDickey

JoyDickey Member

Hi, I am very new here and have had my Android Incredible a couple of months. Is Froyo for it and if so what does it do? Thanks.

19. EricKit

EricKit Active Member

It's most likely because of memory addressing. It's the same reason a 32 bit computer can't see more than 32 bits of RAM (and why a 64 bit computer is the only reason you should use 8GB of RAM). you can only address so much memory. Now, I'm sure Android is a 32-bit operating system but they may be only able to adddress so much memory.

20. Autolysis

That's what I was thinking too. I can't imagine 2 years from now when phones are hitting 4 Gigs of RAM and dual core CPUs...

I for one cannot wait to play starcraft, Doom 3, and protein fold all at the same time. :D

21. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

Soo, Froyo is released when? Im interested to check it out.. Ive decided to just suck it up and keep my captivate and try the android OS for a few years.. I already know what IOS brings , and besides new hardware and a nice screen I know exactly what the Iphone 4 will do .. BUT the new android phones getting released later this year have me interested as well ( front facing cameras, 1080p, 8 mp cam, flash, better screen etc )

also what is teathering, and hotspot?

22. Autolysis

September sometime.

Tethering and a wireless hotspot are both similar things. A hotspot acts as a wireless router to which you can use multiple things such as a laptop, PSP, etc. Tethering basically just uses your cellphone as a modem. Usually you need to plug it into the computer, but I think android works wirelessly too.

23. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

I fear that the Streak will be lucky to be on Eclair by that point, let alone Froyo. Dell really dropped the ball with that one. :(

24. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

Thats pretty awesome.. Now I see why people are talking about huge data plans with these now.. I would be bringing my laptop everywhere and using it as a hotspot :)

25. kkeo

kkeo Member

My friends with Droids and Evos have been pretty underwhelmed with Froyo. They've said with all the hyping, they were expecting something really nice... but now they can see why it was an incremental version update.