Froyo update broke my music

Last Updated:

1. Bugswatter

Bugswatter Member This Topic's Starter

I've loaded much of my itunes music to my droid without problems. Most of the music is .m4a, with a few being mp3.... Prior to the Froyo update, everything played - no problems with the Droid. Now, after Froyo uodate, none of the .m4a selections are playable. Any ideas what could be happening? Could the music player have disabled that specific music encoding method? Help!!!!

Advertisement
  2. CrazyTechnoBoy

CrazyTechnoBoy Well-Known Member

Hmm, Maybe It's Just The Music Player.

Look For Another One The Market.

:D

3. Bugswatter

The other players have the same problem.... Very strange.

4. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

did you try removing all your music from the phone and resyncing it all? PITA I know, but the update could have done something weird and funky.

5. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

Maybe its tired of playing Justin Bieber & Miley Cyrus all day...

6. Bugswatter

Red... Cute, just cute....

But being serious, some more developments....

Now, much of my music is playable, but the stock droid music player doesn't see many selections (such as my Beatles and Stones collections) as if the upgrade tried to reindex the music collection.

For simplicity's sake, I manually moved many albums from my iTunes directories, placing them on the Droid using the directory structure below:

\Music\Artist\Album\*songs*

This worked cleanly, with a few minor things of note - such as "The Beatles" being listed under "T" instead of "B". (The iPod gets this right, but that's an "Apples and Oranges" comparison - no pun intended.) Songs loaded to my desktop's iTunes from CD ended up being saved as .M4A files, while songs downloaded from Amazon ended up being saved as .MP3 files. Both types of files worked perfectly up to the time of the Froyo update.

Yesterday, I OK'd the Froyo update - and the standard music player stopped playing the .M4A files. This is a major headache, but it didn't prepare me for what I see today. Now, a significant number of the artists in my song collection are visible on the Droid and their songs are playable (though they couldn't be played last night.) Yet, a significant number are invisible to the Droid's stock music player. Cubed (^3) doesn't see these files either, and both players don't see anything under the letter "T". However, Double Twist sees everything (including my Beatles' music), which is strange, because it didn't see these tunes before the Froyo update. So Double twist becomes my music player of choice for now....

For lack of further information, it appears that a database may be being built to index one's music library, as is done by iTunes for Apple's product line. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I'd love to know whether I'm going to need to play more games to get my music onto the droid and have all of it play as expected.

Bugswatter

7. LavndrAndy

LavndrAndy New Member

I have had the same problem since the Froyo update. My videos and music all worked great (and used free RingTone app to make some music into free ringtones), but now only a choice few songs play, and none of my videos play... HELP!

Can anyone give a quick fix for a techno-challenged geek wannabe (yep, that's me)?

Thanks!

8. phlatline

phlatline New Member

Registered here just to post in this thread.
    My Verizon moto Droid just got updated to Froyo and now I'm having the same problems with my music. Since I've shelved my ipod and just use my phone this problem is driving me crazy.

9. warwagon77

warwagon77 New Member

After the update pandora no longer works and some videos that played before the update no longer play on my moto droid...

10. SpicyTacoto

SpicyTacoto Well-Known Member

Ditto. UPdated to froyo yesterday and now the bulk of my music library will not play.

11. phlatline

phlatline New Member

[UPDATE] [Problem Solved]
    In a desperate "I'll try anything" move I decided to remove all the music from my phone and use Winamp to sync using the forum post here. It totally worked.

12. mimsigiggles

mimsigiggles New Member

Same here! Anything I bought through iTunes won't play on the music player. If anyone knows how to fix it for Mac users, much appreciated. Or does anyone know whether the second Froyo update is going to make it better?

13. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member

Sorry for being ignorant but is Froyo out now? I'm getting my Captivate tomorrow night and was just wondering.

14. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Are they drm protected? (most likely if you bought them from itunes) If so, nothing but ipods will play them until you convert the files to drm-less mp3s

15. Geolama

Geolama New Member

I have this same problem but the weird part is that ES File Explorer will play my iTunes (non-DRM) m4a files just fine - only one at a time. And although I am a Mac person I have not given up completely on PCs for this very reason. I have Smith Micro's Tune Ranger that will allow you to copy your iTunes content from one machine to another's iTunes (PC and/or Mac). After I copy my library over to the PC I will use the WinAmp solution to keep my Droid synchronized.