Froyo Update: Flashing vs. Waiting for OTA - Advantages / Disadvantages?

Last Updated:

1. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently debating whether I should wait for my carrier (Telus) to provide the Froyo update OTA, or use a downloaded ROM. I'm more or less clear on the advantages/DISadvantages of using a downloaded RUU. I'm less clear on the advantages of waiting for Telus to offer it. I recently got the HTC Desire, and the Telus update could be as late as November. I would really like to install Froyo NOW, because once I start using the phone more and entering contacts and agendas and all of that, I don't want to have to redo all the work I did configuring the phone.

Waiting for Telus OTA UPDATE:

Pro's:

* I get the update NOW, and I can get on with my life.
    * No risk bricking the phone (biggest thing holding me back!):eek:
    * No need to waste an entire SD card, just to keep a backup of the Goldcard image in case of later updates

Cons:

* I LOSE my 1-year warranty with Telus on the phone if its been hacked (UNLESS I can save version 2.1 and flash it back to that??)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Who told you you will waste an entire SD on gold card? It takes up about 0 space and can (and should) be you everyday SD card

3. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's the conclusion I made. I'm aware you can use the gold card as your main SD card. But the advice I read was to make a backup of the (gold) SD card. Because if something happens to the main SD, you can not make a copy of the goldcard image (since it is tied to the SD card you created it for), and you can not get into the phone to reflash it for a future update, if it no longer has the gold card.

So that's one complication the Telus OTA update won't have. Speaking of another one... can you avoid the risk of bricking the phone?

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Its easy enough to make any sd card a gold card if your main one breaks then you will have to get a new sd card anyway.
    If you follow the instructions for rooting & make sure you read them properly the risk of bricking a phone is minute.

SkinJob likes this.
  5. ccrows

ccrows Well-Known Member

I was set to do it until I started reading some of the errors on the final 2 pages in the RUU thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

Then you may run into the Wifi issue:

http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...not-working-after-2-2-update.html#post1550552

^ Sure the WiFi can be patched, but the official update is still due this month. (yes that doesn't guarantee anything, but no word has spread of any delays either)

Since the official status still hasn't changed, I'm leaning towards waiting it out and having a clean upgrade... :cool:

SkinJob likes this.