• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo upgrade without Windows or Kies?

kuracisto

Lurker
Apr 4, 2011
Here's the thing of it: I don't have any computers running Microsoft or Mac operating systems. All of my computers at home and at work run on Ubuntu.

I want to install Froyo on my un-rooted Samsung Captivate.

I have a virtual machine running XP, and I've installed kies on it; however it will not recognize the phone in kies mode. In mass storage mode, the XP virtual machine will recognize the phone, tell me it needs a driver, and then when I try to install the driver, it tells me that it already has the driver installed and won't let me reinstall it. I have tried all of the usual tricks to fix that, to no avail (It was this type of snafu, btw, that led me to abandon MS several years ago).

On Ubuntu, the phone is recognized for what it is, and I can easily move data between the machines.

Can anyone tell me how to install Froyo without Kies, or better yet, without the virtual machine whatsoever?

For all the frustrations and effort involved, it would be far less stress to simply ask to use a friend/family member's Windows PC for a few mins, long enough to update your phone. I respect you not having a Windows PC of your own but I can't imagine you know of no one who would let you borrow theirs for a moment.

Sometimes you just need to cut your losses and move forward with the simplest solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones