froyo was not an upgrade

Last Updated:

1. Rknee

Rknee New Member This Topic's Starter

Was froyo really an upgrade?

My phone definitely runs faster but my audio and video playback is total garbage now. My phone acts possessed with something controlling the speed. Video playback fails now with the audio still going, the rate of playback changes at random moments making people talking sound like cartoons, and my phone will start playing music randomly without reason.

Are there people who are experiencing similar problems?

Advertisement
  2. mcgeiger

mcgeiger Member

With the video, what videos are you trying to play? I had lag like that using the beta version of flash player but i expected some because it was still in beta. As for random music, no I haven't had that problem. Do you perhaps have a widget that may be malfunctioning or something that would normally control your music?

3. pharmdroid

pharmdroid Member

I would suggest removing the battery and booting the Phone back up. Hope this helps

4. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Well-Known Member

Hard reset. add one app back at a time until you find the one that isn't playing nice with froyo. Everything working great here. (since i did that)

5. tampatracker

tampatracker New Member

I just downloaded and installed the OTA update of 2.2 on my Motorola Droid. However, I apparently have to wait for an Adobe Flash 10.1 app to come out for the flash feature to work! Has anyone else experienced this?

6. tashus

tashus New Member

Yes. I tried to download the prerelease version from Adobe, but they claim it is in the marketplace. It's not...

7. elusivEuphoria

elusivEuphoria New Member

Discovering the same thing in regard to the flash player.

In response to OP, my audio and video playback is fine but I did notice that all of my saved playlists are now blank... that's bogus. I only had 5, but still.

8. thethinker1995

thethinker1995 Member

Dude i know sometimes the video's don't play and I'm mad because I don't know when Flash will come

9. darkendandroid23

darkendandroid23 Well-Known Member

Looks like 2.2 is not that promising,. I rather wait for 3.0 in another month and a half..

10. GJones12345

GJones12345 Member

10.1 fash is at mediafire.com its a apk file works great

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Well-Known Member

Man, I'm loving 2.2 but maybe I'm lucky for some reason, the phone works awesome !!

Can't wait to try 3.0 !!
    **Droid Incredible**

12. Loki117

Loki117 Guest

Like some others have said I had similar issues with the Beta version on my N1 I haven't seen anything like the problems you describe in the over the air version. Do you have a build number? It's available from the about phone screen inside settings.

13. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Well, for some phones (like the Sprint Hero), froyo wasn't available:( Thank goodness for root and cyanogen. Phone runs awesome now:D Not many issues here

14. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Well-Known Member

Froyo is running excellent on my D1. But i deleted a bunch of the crappy apps i had tried as well.
    Its not 2.2 it the 3rd party apps. Swype runs like crap on it as an example and caused issues for me on 2.1 and 2.2

15. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I think what we've got is another classic case of "YMMV". Every user seems to have slightly differing results from batteries, OS versions, Custom ROMs, apps et al.

For what it's worth, my phone has improved dramatically post FroYo - both in speed and stability - however I can't hold a candle to my parter's battery life (I have to charge every night, she, on the other hand can get through the night and out the other side and still have 30% of battery life yet).

It's hard to state if X+Y always equals Z since for many folk it doesn't even come close. However to state that "FroYo was not an upgrade" is disingenuous at best, since given the feature set involved, it most obviously is an upgrade - it just so happens with your current configuration it doesn't feel as much.

When I first got my phone it was as flaky as heck and I'd be lucky to make it through 4-5 hours without a random reboot. After it took a final reboot to recursion hell I took the plunge and re-imaged it. Since then it's been as solid as a rock. Indeed I've read in many posts users whom, having upgraded to FroYo, have had continuous problems what we also resolved by a re-imaging.

However, at the end of the day, as I say, "Your Mileage May Vary" seems to be a very common thread in the posts I read - and this is no different.

16. rechardlake

rechardlake New Member

I suggest remove the battery and then boot the Phone back up. Wish this could be helpful.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting my DX to be a completely different phone once froyo hits, all I really want is...

1) The ability to have flash. Now that being said I realize it will be a bit buggy for now, but hell let's get real for a moment already, this is the very first mobile OS able to even run it... So I'm not exactly expecting perfection right out of the gate. But I will expect it's performance to improve with future updates. But heck it's better than not being able to open flash sites at all, which is what I have now with 2.1.

2) Some improvement in battery life. No I'm not expecting it to double or tripple my battery life, but even a subtle improvement will be welcome. I already bought an extended battery and that helped things immensely. I would be over joyed if froyo helped improve my battery life if even just by 5%. Then if gingerbread improves it another 5%, then that will be a whole hour and a half more battery life than I had when I bought the phone... just with software changes! How cool would that be?

3) Speed increase. Not that I'm complaining, because the DX is already an amazingly fast phone, so I'm not expecting any night and day improvements over the speed it runs now. I'm just really hoping that the 'OFFICIAL UPDATE' (in other words, I don't want to hear anyone say they have installed the leaked version and it didn't improve this because I'm hoping that at least part of the reason it's taking so long to roll out the official version is because they're fixing this stuff) drastically reduces, if not completely eliminates the lag I often experience with my phone. For instance, I have LauncherPro and whenever I hit the home button nothing happens... so I have to hit it again... but then it performs a double action, sending me first to the home screen, then to the screen that shows all 7 of my home screens (aaaaaarrrrrrgggggg!!!!!). So then I have to hit the home button a 3rd time to finally get it to take me to my home screen. Then there are other times when I back out of a program and get to my home screen and it freezes for 8 - 15 seconds... I can't flick through my home screens, I can't flick through my menu bar, I can't launch anything or open any widgets... it just freezes up temporarily. So, I would be over joyed if it just performed as fast as it does when it's working properly, and takes all those freezes and glitches away for me.

4) Last but not least I'm really looking forward to the enhanced features, such as the majorly improved breakdown of what apps are draining my battery. That will be SOOO useful to me.

.... no I'm not expecting to pull a brand new phone out of my pocket once the OTA updates hits me, just a slightly refined version of what I already have.