Froyo Wi-Fi hotspot feature to be left unblocked (read "free") by sprint???

Last Updated:

1. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | TECHNOLOGY Blog | dallasnews.com

This guy talked to a sprint rep who insuated that Froyo's wi-fi hotspot feature wont be blocked when its eventually released for the evo

Perhaps Sprint's $29.99 hotspot app will offer 8 connections while the built in froyo hotspot will offer one...

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

that or the 30 fee is to get a quick cash flow... there is no way the 30 was gonna stay around for ever anyway, atleast not with the current plans on board. i say it might drop down a bit in price when this happens... if this happens

3. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

The one connection thing he's talking about is for PDAnet and other wired tethering services. About 2.2's wireless tethering, he said that they "can['t] make any assessments on that particular application".

So the answer is no one knows yet.

4. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To an extent yes...but the sprint rep clearly states that they don't block apps or functionality. At the very least there's reason to be hopeful.

5. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

if i remember right, froyo's hotspot can handle up to 8 devices as well..

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Just because sprint won't be blocking the feature, doesn't mean they aren't going to charge you to use said feature

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

7. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i don't remember froyo even getting hotspot, just tethering

8. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Hotspot is just another name for wireless tethering. Which Froyo will have.

9. stevent76

stevent76 Member

The hotspot feature isn't designed for people on this board. They know we will find a way around it. It is designed for everyone else.

reddaltoids likes this.
  10. NiCK Crush

NiCK Crush Well-Known Member

Very pleased to hear this!

11. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

So, would this feature be considered an "app" though? It's basically part of the OS. I think it's just a play on words and the $30 charge isn't going away. It's not unusual for a wireless carrier to charge for tethering, so I'm not sure why Sprint would just start giving it away when even Google has said that the carriers may block it.

12. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Imagine reading this headline: "Sprint Releases Android 2.2, Drops $10 Fee, Make $20 or $30 Fee Mandatory On All New Premium Smartphone Plans"

What may happen is going to be a mystery for a while, but I'm just speculating another possibility that I would not like to see because it would allow full functionality but still be a price increase. That said if it was unfettered data, tethering, and everything Android and Evo are capable of, then I would consider $20 or $30 fair for no limits on anything.

Though it would be a price increase, I expect all carriers to price shift upwards implement 4G services and even more powerful phones.

Just speculating ....

13. nycbhh

nycbhh Well-Known Member

My fear is that feature might inspire them to drag their heels on getting us the Froyo update.

14. jason.sgtski

jason.sgtski Well-Known Member

I am afraid of this as well. I have a feeling that we will be rooting and installing a 2.2 rom before we actually get the official release.
    i plan to get the hotspot at the launch and see if its worth it in my 4g city.

misterzeno likes this.
  15. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

That's where I stopped reading. Unless you're talking to some Sprint high-up executive, you aren't going to get an accurate response. Even then, Sprint may change their mind. I personally HIGHLY doubt that Sprint will leave in a feature that they charge $30/month for.

16. dsarch21

dsarch21 Well-Known Member

I know everyone thinks froyo will hit sprint 'soon' say within 2-4 mos of google release....I don't think we will see froyo for 12+ mos.

has the hero even been updated to 2.1 yet? (officially?)

17. misticjeff

misticjeff Well-Known Member

My buddy has Froyo on his Nexus One. Last night he turned on the WiFi Hotspot and I was able to connect flawlessly. It works beautifully... :D

random255 likes this.
  18. Rigmaster

They're going to have to quickly get Froyo released. Froyo is a tremendous sell feature for Android vs iPhone and not releasing it just means fewer people will come to Sprint.

It's a $30 feature that can be turned on only when needed, and I don't think it has nearly the big $ potential that the $10 monthly fee has.

That's why I'm having a hard time not seeing how Sprint doesn't eventually turn the monthly $10 fee into a monthly $20 fee and remove hotspot restraints or a mothnly $25 fee to include everything they have, including the extra channels on SprintTV.

The nickel-dime approach they're using right now is distasteful in a big way and only hurts them every time something new comes up.

misterzeno likes this.
  19. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

and I think you're out of your mind. :p

20. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, but I believe that 2.2 will be out no later than a week after launch:D

21. Fazz

Fazz Active Member

IMHO i think there is NO WAY Sprint will allow any type of native tethering for free.

22. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Tethering yes, mobile hotspot no.

23. Rigmaster

I'd heard that some of the testing was done with earlier builds of Froyo 2.2 but could not be test-completed prior to launch. I never bought that it couldn't be done. I've always believed the issue was that Froyo does so much that Sprint was shocked at what it could do without generating income to Sprint.

Can't see how blocking will work when simply doing some type of across the board plan changes is really going to be the option they're left with.

24. random255

random255 Well-Known Member

I don't see much personal need for the hotspot features, but I know many people will. I'm in a 3G area, however, and the thought of having two or three PCs all connected via my phone to get their Internet fix doesn't appeal much to me.

That said, I'll probably look into rooting my phone (I've never done that) to get 2.2 installed (assuming it's a stable release). I do see the benefit of being able to connect a few devices to the Internet via my phone in the event my router goes down or I lose power. I like the idea of having a built-in backup connection like that. Of course, tethering would also accomplish that too.

25. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

Umm yes? It's been out officially for weeks now.