• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo wont play/recognize mp4 movies

biggdogg

Dec 28, 2009
New Jersey
I'm currently running Bugless Beast V.04 on my Droid1. I just noticed that since I started running the Froyo 2.2 build on my phone that I've lost the ability to play any of my Mp4 movies that I have on my SD card. The movies are formatted for the Droid and worked fine on the stock 2.1 video/ media player. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if its the ROM or is just a different video player all together with the 2.2 builds so they can use the flash player. Flash works flawlessly and YouTube still works ( at least it loads quicker ) but when I try to play a movie it gives some kind of error code . When I switch to the movie player it says " video cannot be played" ( just like when you tried to play a flash video on 2.1 stock) . Does anyone know if its just because the build of Froyo is not complete and will be fixed when the official OTA is released? If its an oversight by Motorola /Verizon we better keep it quite or they might push the date up again! LOL, Seriously though, any ideas why this doesn't work???

This has been a problem for me since I got Froyo (as well as many other users). There are some MP4 videos I have that simply will not play on Froyo. However, I do have a few that work (maybe they are a different resolution/bitrate and therefore work better, idk?). Either way, I don't think this would be a problem on the official Droid release of Froyo. Most likely a problem with the leaked Froyos we are using on our Droids, that were not meant for Droid to begin with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones