• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froze Dialer 2.2.1 in TiBU and FC making phone unusable!

oppendroid

Mar 14, 2010
Upstate NY
I had the icon in the status bar for voicemails even though I use Google Voice. I could NOT get rid of them so I tried freezing Dialer Storage 2.2.1 in TiBU. The icon went away and then the problems started . . .

As soon as I get past the lock screen, I get an FC as follows:

The application Dialer (process com.android.phone) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I choose Force close and in the background, SwiftKey comes up with a Installation Invalid message but the FC for the Dialer stays on the screen.

Choosing either Force close or Report has no effect. The message stays onscreen and I can press the buttons as much as I want but the message will not go away.

I've done multiple battery pulls and tried to boot into recovery but the phone just reboots as usual and starts the whole cycle over again.

This is my only phone and without it I'm screwed. HELP!

EDIT TO ADD:

I did more searching and found references to using ADB to get into recovery. I have my phone connected to my computer and I had already installed ADB and RSD 4.6 when I rooted . . . I just can't figure out where to go from here.

I see posts referring to flashing an sbf recovery, but I need detailed steps.

The only other option I see is flashing back to stock and starting over again.

Come on, someone has got to know what to do here! Please save me from Android-less hell!

There was absolutely no way to unfreeze that app. I could not get past the FC message at all. When I tried to get into the recovery screen to restore from backup, the phone went into a boot sequence and took me right back to the FC's.

Yesterday I spent hours trying to figure out how to access the phone using ADB command and I was able to flash a clockwork recovery image to the phone and from there I did a factory reset/wipe twice, and flashed UD 8.0

I'm not sure if it is working because my phone has been stuck in the bootloop for UD 8.0 for 10 minutes even after a battery pull so I've reflashed UD 8.0 and I'm setting it up again now.

If you have any other ideas or insights, I'd like to know.

Thanks much,
robYn

Upvote 0
I've reflashed UD 8.0 and everything seems to be good so far . . .

Is there a comprehensive list of the .apks (?) somewhere that lists their purpose or function? I'd like to know what I'm working with so I don't make this mistake again!

Thanks so much!

And especially Thanks to OMJ who gave me the link to the current Guide to All Things Root and the commands I needed yesterday. :D

robYn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones