• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froze wrong apps, boots up but almost blank screen

ssurfer

Aug 15, 2010
I have froze a bit too much using Titanium backup it appears. After reboot, the phone boots, show the status bar on top as normal, showing the apps running, (lookout, battery monitor, time, data connection etc). But I don't get the unlock screen below the status screen. Thus I can't unlock the screen and put in my pattern to unlock the screen. I had use the steps here http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html to do a permanent root, but no S-Off a few months ago. The image I used was rezound_AndroidPolice_4.03.605.2_PH98IMG.zip.

I think the issue was either Internet app or one of the live wall papers I had frozen. I did remove a few apps that have been frozen for a while such as the games and Polaris office, but that should not be causing issue.

Any help to recover would be appreciated. One thought I had was it it possible to get a .zip file that contains the files that may have been frozen and causing the issue, so I can load it from fastboot then recovery

sounds like your best bet may be to launch recovery,and restore a backup. you did make one,right? ;)

you can try making a backup prior to restoring one. after youve resrtored a backup and are back to a working phone,you could try restoring only the data portion of your most recent backup. since whatever you froze that confused things was likely a system app or process,its likely you could restore your data without affecting anything in /system,minimizing your re-setup hassle.

if you have no backups,you may need to go ahead and flash a stock type rom,or custom rom of your choice.

if nothing else,let this me a lesson to make periodic backups when removing things from your rom :)

Upvote 0
scotty85 is correct, otherwise a factory reset is in order from recovery... Although, have you tried pulling down the quick launch menu and opening an app from there, sometimes that can get you to the lock screen/app.

Now a question for you, why would you freeze apps with Titanium Backup now that we have ICS though? Couldn't you have just disabled them embedded features of ICS or is there some advantage to using TiBu other than you can actually uninstall them?

Upvote 0
scotty85 is correct, otherwise a factory reset is in order from recovery... Although, have you tried pulling down the quick launch menu and opening an app from there, sometimes that can get you to the lock screen/app.

Now a question for you, why would you freeze apps with Titanium Backup now that we have ICS though? Couldn't you have just disabled them embedded features of ICS or is there some advantage to using TiBu other than you can actually uninstall them?

while disabling the apps may make you feel better ;) it is not deleting them. disabling the apps is similar to freezing. doing so does not free up any memory, they are still there and taking up space.

also,there prolly are apps that folks may want rid of that dont allow disabling.

my recomendations are,in small batches(to make troubleshooting easier):
1)make a backup
2)freeze for a few days
3)if things go well,you can delete.
4)repeat 1-3 until youve elimiated everything you didnt want :)

that way if you do get in a jam like the OP,you have several working backups you can revert to and not have to start competely over.

Reactions: ssurfer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones