frustrated and bewildered..

Last Updated:

1. unclebrutha

unclebrutha New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm an entrepreneur who has finally decided that any further resistance is futile and I may as well conform to the "Google Way" of life in the course of running my small business. Having suffered a small setback in the last couple of years, I've had to scale back to running all operations myself while I regain traction and move forward. I was introduced to Google apps by a REALLY INTELLIGENT friend and advisor. I've been doing my best to integrate the gApps tools into my daily operations but I'm no spring chicken and sometimes change is not all that easy.

As I have found it necessary to make myself lots of notes, I began to look for ways to take them with me without the need for a wagon to hold all the volumes of journals. I initially turned to a BB which had been given to me by another friend. Ok, it was free so why not. I had (somewhat, kinda, sorta) begun to find ways to work the two (gApps and the BB) together but with limitations. I couldn't find a way to have one task list that I could sync between them.

As I'm not really a "tech" guy, it took me a minute to understand that there was a difference between "Droid" and "Android" in that one was a phone and the other an operating system and even more time to understand that Android was the "Google" operating system I had once heard something about. So great, I thought. Maybe if I get a "Google" powered phone I can easily use it to access my existing gApps data. Well, I'm sorry to say that so far, I have not had an easy time of doing that.

As a small business owner, I would rather not have to devote the amount of time I've had to so far searching and researching for clues as to how to use my Android phone with Google apps. But since there seems no other way, I'm glad forums such as this exist. I hope I can find some guidance and answers to the difficulties I'm experiencing so far with configuring my LG Ally so that it makes my life EASIER, not more frustrating.

So far, according to my research so far, it seems Verizon is holding out on the Froyo 2.2 update for the LG Ally. Whether that is true or not, there doesn't seem to be a way to get it other than by way of "rooting" the device and installing a flash ROM (?) Like I said, I'm not really a tech guy so my reaction to that was (WTF????) While I kinda sorta get what that means, it seems if I venture into that territory and screw something up, I will have committed the equivalent of a cardinal sin against the church and wind up being excommunicated from the holy mother of Verizon.

In a perfect world, this device would allow me to easily access my Google apps data remotely, (i.e. send and receive emails, create and update my task list(s), manage my calendar and contacts) and interact with my social media community. As I discover new tools and whether or not they are useful to me I would like the option of either uninstalling preloaded or searching for and installing new apps as I see fit. Now I ask, is that too much to ask?? It seems that is! But if I'm wrong, help me Obi Wan Kanobi... you're my only hope...

In closing, please bare with me. I may not quite understand certain things at first but eventually I get it. for example: trackbacks? what's a trackback? But I'm trying my best to learn more with each day. So be PLEASE, be gentle..

Hoping to find some answers,

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

Check out our LG Ally forums... That's a great place to get your questions answered.

LG Ally - Android Forums
  3. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....;)
  4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Feb 19, 2010