• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustrated with camera. Ideas?

angiembfl

May 3, 2011
NE FL
So, the camera is kind of eh on the N4. I especially hate that the zoom is terrible. Even my husband's Evo V has better zoom. Are there any apps out there that will make it better? Or should I get a new phone (husband wants mine so I could make a case for that)? Is the camera better on the N5, or the Google versions of the HTC One or S4?

Thank you ooberandy, I'll check those out. And thank you for understanding my question. I think that's the first time I've ever gotten a smarty pants response on these forums. :-(

It's the focus on zoom that really is the problem. I'm going to try out some apps and check out your links. There's just so many options i was hoping someone could save me some time. :) Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I didn't think Rukbat's was a snarky comment. It's the truth.
Even will a regular full size camera - the digital zoom isn't all that effective either.
No camera phone is perfect. The vaunted iPhone's camera has issues like the N4, N5 or One, when there is a shadow on your subject matter in broad daylight.

You buy the smartphone for the most features you can afford recognizing the camera on all of them is subpar vs. a full size camera.

Upvote 0
Maybe try understanding the op point of view, rather than spouting off your own agenda.

It is not the proper response to ignore someone's perfectly sensible question - which of these phones has the best camera.

There has been no mention of how the phone is intended to be used as a camera, but you eagerly jump in saying to buy a camera. Why even bother to have a camera on a phone with an attitude like that.

Upvote 0
D'you know, I'd never even considered using the zoom feature. As it's digital zoom, I always though you might as well take the picture without zooming then crop / expand it.

Yes, and of course it gives you far more options to get the composition right :)

There's not really any advantage to digital zoom and lots of disadvantages compared with cropping later.

Upvote 0
D'you know, I'd never even considered using the zoom feature. As it's digital zoom, I always though you might as well take the picture without zooming then crop / expand it.

Well duh. Thanks. I don't know why I never thought of the fact that when you crop you can expand it. I tried it and that helped a lot.
I blame it on my mommy brain.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I think we've established what angiembfl is looking for, so lets move on please. :)

I've found Camera Zoom FX or Pro Capture pretty good alternative camera apps and whilst not amazing, they do offer slight improvements and a few more options than the stock camera app on the N4.

Thanks for the recs. I haven't tried Camera Zoom FX yet, but really like ProCapture. The app tips are something I was looking for.

Also, I did mention that my husband wants my N4 so there is justification to buy a new phone. I'm not just buying one for a better camera. I don't have that kind of play money. :). The rec of capture then crop along with the apps mentioned are exactly what I was looking for though.

Thanks. You guys always helpful!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones