• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustrated with lack of apps??

I do think that Android has a lot of good apps already and Apple has many useless ones.....

but I guess my frustration was with these big companies that are only making apps for iPhone.. Everyday day I hear or see something new in a commercial saying "download our new iPhone app.." Among some I can think of only for iPhone:

Chase bank- using your iphone to take a pic of your check to deposit (I could really use this one!)

Our city and local newspaper- would be nice to have this one so I can quickly scan the headlines

Mountain High Resort- nice to have the trailmap on your phone

Fuel TV (owned by Fox)- I like catching some of those sports video clips they put on there

Many big name resturants like California Pizza Kitchen, etc.. have iPhone apps where u can just place the order from your phone- useful when I order lunch from work

California DMV- to pay my fees

Facebook- like I said in the first post, way better on my iPod touch, allows me to do so much more than the one here.

Oh yea...and once more and more of these apps start coming out, it will help Android grow in popularity as well. More users=More apps as well as more apps=more users

Dude... you have to search. :) Fuel TV has an Android app, and they actually proclaim -- on their own blog -- that it is better than the Android app.

You listed the California DMV. You cannot pay fees on the iPhone app. On the website, they say it has four purposes:

• Prepare to take the written driver's license exam by taking sample tests
  • Watch DMV driving videos
  • Find a DMV field office near you
  • Get Important California DMV Alert instantly
This all you can do with the app. I guess if you need to watch those riveting driving vids, it's a must-have.:D

California Pizza has a FULLY functional mobile portal that allows for ordering in a couple clicks. Now, as I have admitted, I am an app guy. However, my time on BB has taught me that it is sometimes useless having an "app" when a simple browser shortcut will do.

That is just the three apps you're feenin' for. Again, it's all about utility. I honestly believe that a lack of apps is not a weakness of the Android OS.

Another reason which is probably critical is the ability to install 3rd party software. With ios the guarantees are higher that you'll see your money as a developer but probably not as much with android.

I read an article saying exactly that.

Upvote 0
I think people are missing the OP's point. I understand exactly what is being stated and I feel the exact same way(especially about the Chase app). This app is the sole reason I am reluctantly debating upgrading my 3g iphone to an iphone 4( camera on 3g doesnt auto focus making a lot of my checks get rejected when submitted). I even emailed Chase about this issue and was told that they are working on a release for other mobile platforms, but they couldnt give specifics or a release date.

It really is dropping the ball on the big companies parts, because BOA and USAA bank have an identical app for both platforms(and the USAA app has the same check deposit feature). So there isnt some legal jargain about cross platform(as stated in an earlier post) preventing them from developing apps. Its just like many have said, and the iphone is a ubiquitous name right now, so thats all they care to develop for. When a few of the in house employees cross over to Android, maybe then someone will bother to get the ball rolling.

Upvote 0
Fuel is new since I checked a while back....thanks, I found that one!

Dude... you have to search. :) Fuel TV has an Android app, and they actually proclaim -- on their own blog -- that it is better than the Android app.

You listed the California DMV. You cannot pay fees on the iPhone app. On the website, they say it has four purposes:

• Prepare to take the written driver's license exam by taking sample tests
  • Watch DMV driving videos
  • Find a DMV field office near you
  • Get Important California DMV Alert instantly
This all you can do with the app. I guess if you need to watch those riveting driving vids, it's a must-have.:D

California Pizza has a FULLY functional mobile portal that allows for ordering in a couple clicks. Now, as I have admitted, I am an app guy. However, my time on BB has taught me that it is sometimes useless having an "app" when a simple browser shortcut will do.

That is just the three apps you're feenin' for. Again, it's all about utility. I honestly believe that a lack of apps is not a weakness of the Android OS.

I read an article saying exactly that.

Upvote 0
I don't think theres a lack of quality apps for android as far as the important ones, and in some categories android actually beat the iphone. Like social networking apps for android does far more than those of the iphone. With that being said the one area that apple is clearly wining is the the games category. This is a huge bummer for me and a lot people that like to play games on their phone. This is why i am developing a game the iphone platform right now because thats where the audiance is and the iphone 4 is just a better device for gaming compare to any android device. I ll give android by the end of 2011 to be the majority then and only then you will see a bunch of developers porting their apps and their games....

P.S. i am a proud owner of a HTC EVO....

Upvote 0
I don't think theres a lack of quality apps for android as far as the important ones, and in some categories android actually beat the iphone. Like social networking apps for android does far more than those of the iphone. With that being said the one area that apple is clearly wining is the the games category. This is a huge bummer for me and a lot people that like to play games on their phone. This is why i am developing a game the iphone platform right now because thats where the audiance is and the iphone 4 is just a better device for gaming compare to any android device. I ll give android by the end of 2011 to be the majority then and only then you will see a bunch of developers porting their apps and their games....

P.S. i am a proud owner of a HTC EVO....
What makes iPhone a better gaming platform? I've found the Desire very intuitive for playing games...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones