Frustrating morning with the Droid X....Support

Last Updated:

1. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It all started with a faulty charger. I had left the phone charging all night, so I *assumed* it was fully charged. Next thing you know, I have a black screen, and it won't power up.
    After finally thinking of plugging it into my car charger as a last resort, it tells me the battery is at 5%. Great.

Okay, let it charge. Now, for some odd reason, the touch keys at the very bottom of the screen (dialer, open Apps list, & contacts button) are completely non-responsive.
    Everything else seems normal (including the whole top 9/10 of the touch screen). I can get around, switch home screens, access Apps via shortcuts, etc., but the darn touch screens at the bottom will not work.
    Rebooted, pulled battery, same. Grrrr.

So finally I am frustrated enough to re-set the phone to factory settings. Big mistake. The first thing the phone does is bring you through the Android setup guide, which requires you to press "continue" (or skip) at the bottom of the screen. Unfortunately, "continue" is in the non-responsive area.
    Just got back from bringing it in to the Verizon store. Guy had no clue what was wrong - was nice enough; said he'd order me a new one. Unfortunately, they are not shipping until 7/27. Damn.

Why doesn't the VZW store keep a couple in stock in case people have trouble? I'm a little miffed that I now have to reactive the old BB Curve temporarily.

Guess I'll live...just venting.

Advertisement
  2. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

I'm positive some stores have stock, more specifically mine. I had a busted earpiece speaker which causes buzzing. I need a replacement, but they wouldn't give me one on the spot. They 'claimed' they had no stock, however I watched them sell one on the other side of the store to another customer. When I questioned the rep, I was told they didn't and I saw the original droid being sold. I know I didn't. I think they are being told to not do replacements in store because it will take away from potential sales. Just a theory, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm waiting for a 7/27 shipment as well. Ugh.

3. bennec

bennec Well-Known Member

I asked the same question about why Verizon didn't hold some back for problems so they could be replaced immediately, especially since they already have or money. Mine died after 15 minutes of use. Got it back up and the battery showed 0. As it climbed, I could start using it again. Left it to charge all night Friday night pretty stocked maybe it WAS just a battery issue. Dead again on Saturday morning. Sounds like your phone is flaky like that too and definitely needed replacing.

I guess we get back in line even behind new purchases placed after they ran out of stock and just wait. I'm trying to hold on as well....but very pissed at Verizon's method of shipping these phones the first time around and now NO replacements available it seems?

I'm glad Verizon assured everyone they would have plenty of phones to go around. Aren't you? :D

4. tdse

I wouldn't doubt it. They were pushing the X pretty hard while I was in the store. I didn't actually see someone walk out with one....I would have been pretty PO'd if I did.

5. blugrss4ever

blugrss4ever Well-Known Member

I'll vent right along with you. I ordered a replacement through tech support this morning and she said 5-7 business days until shipping. She also called some stores in my area, all were out (allegedly....:mad:). It is annoying, and I have to use my ancient dumb phone, but really there are worse things.

6. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

just an FYI, after 5% if is unresponsive. you have to let it charge to 10% before you can use the screen. they seriously need an update to fix this!

7. tdse

aleis...I agree - my first thought was that the phone had died (because I thought the battery was charged).

Oh well, go figure - it's Monday.

8. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

yeah, happy monday to U! :)

9. thefanmyj

thefanmyj Well-Known Member

I just called my local VZW store and asked if there are any Xs in stock. I was told no, but that if I want to upgrade my account, I can order through them and have it in a few days. I told them I'm not upgrading, that I'm a new customer. Was told I can swing by any time today to get one. This is great for me, but sucks as a policy. Way to go treating existing customers like crap!

10. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

they are really showing themselves with this X launch. i was told, if i have a problem i have to go back to the store i got it from to have it fixed!
    and i got it from a corp. store!!

11. Ryobi

Ryobi Banned

Had the same VZW shuffle with the Inc.1st week it crapped out. Took 3 weeks to get a replacement. Apparently none of the brain surgeons @ VZW saw fit to have a few extra devices on hand to replace defective ones.

12. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

The downside to having a few "extras" on hand for circumstances like this is that perspective DX owners will have similar complaints. Why would the VZW store have phones but not give them out to customers with cash in hand?

It's a no-win situation for VZW... or to quote the late Eleanor Roosevelt "you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't".

13. majorcovert

majorcovert Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I ended up returning my Inc. 2nd week of owning it the phone was charging in the car dock or so I thought, but then it died. Happened another time where it said it was charging but really wasn't. I was going to have to wait 4 weeks to get a replacement phone. They didn't even have refurbs to send me. I didn't want to have to keep jumping back and fourth between phones each time I had a problem. At least with the Droid X the wait isn't as long. The Inc had a 2 to 3 week waiting period only after the 3rd day. At least with the DX it's only a few.

14. tdse

Now, that's a pretty lousy policy. But, it makes sense from a business perspective (as long as it doesn't get out...). I've been a customer since Verizon Wireless existed in my area (15+ years), so that really aggravates me.

I will give them a teensy bit of credit. The Rep from the store that I spoke with this morning (at the store) just called to let me know that I will receive the new DX on the 27th. I guess he didn't have to do that - was nice to get a phone call.

15. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Member

Just got my Droid X today. Camera is broken and I'm going to Disneyland tomorrow... I'll be coming back on Friday, which happens to be the day I'm supposed to get it, so hopefully I'm home by then otherwise I'll have to go pick it up from FedEx :|

16. Xbound

Xbound Active Member

Just to continue the momentum of this post, I was one lf the lucky 25 that got one in the new Orleans area last thrusday for launch.

I got my phone that morning, and shot directly to the carnival cruise port for my 4 day cruise. I was able to take 3 pictures before my camera app went black, never to return.

I tried everything and several hard resets.

Also, my earpiece had a bad hardware buzzing. The buzz was so bad that if I took the phone away from my face, the buzzing was all that was audible. I think it was the mesh on the earpiece vibrating against the speaker. Really annoying at any volume.

I called the verizon warranty department and since I am a new verizon customer, I had to actually use a credit card and PAY for a new droid x!!!!!! They say that I get the credit back upon return of the defective unit.

I am not happy.

I am not happy.

17. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Well-Known Member

Whats even more frustrating is the walmart across the street from my store has 6 DXs in stock. Walmart wont move nearly as many phones as the corp stores will.

18. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

There are rogue chargers on the market!!!

Typical output on the past modern droids has been:
    1. Very HOT while charging
    2. Touch screen not responsive when charging.

I'd check the hard buttons too for functionality. Please only use a quality charger designed for the X. Someone should post a sticky in the ACC thread about this.

OP, sorry this happened to you! Hope it gets sorted out soon!

19. tdse

syntrix - thanks -- this was the charger that shipped with the phone.

Update:

I called Verizon directly this morning to verify the shipping date for my replacement phone. Apparently the store misinformed me - it will not be delivered on the 27th, it will be shipped by the 27th. And no it will not be shipped overnight, even though I paid for overnight shipping on my first phone.
    And they are charging my account $299.99 until I return the old phone. Even though I only paid $199.99 for the first one. Apparently since I ordered the first phone online, the $100.00 discount was automatically applied, but since I returned it to the VZW store, I have to mail in the rebate.
    And VZW requires that you send the old/broken phone from a Fed Ex drop off location. Nearest one to me is 1/2 hour. I cannot return it to the store. More and more frustrated by the moment.