• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustration with Nexus 7 tablet and Lollipop

LabRat66

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Earlier this week I received an popup message that an OS update was available for my Nexus 7 (2012). As I have done in the past I accepted and waited for it to install.
Since it has been installed its rendered my tablet almost useless.
Chrome constantly freezes then screen goes black and eventually may come back on after 20 mins, or I have to shutdown and restart. Videos are horrible to watch, both streaming and from device, shutter and audio problems. Facebook will unexpectedly shut down after 2-3 mins of viewing. Switching from app to app can take 30 secs or more if it will even switch. Often I touch the home button and wait minutes for it to acknowledge and go to screen.
I'm the only one in my family who has an android, everyone else has an apple and I know they have had small issues with OS updates but not to this extent.
I was happy with my device up until this point, the fact that even Google Chrome is causing problems leads me to believe the new OS was not tested properly on all platforms prior to release.
If Lollipop was not designed to run on 7 2012 why was it even pushed to it.
I have tried the cache clearing as suggested on many forums and it did appear to make a minor improvement but certainly not what is needed.
I really do not want to factory reset my device, how quick is Google with providing patches.

From everything I have read, even resetting to factory settings does not solve problem as the OS will stay with 5.0. There have been complicated instructions for removing the 5.0 and re installing 4.4 but I am not prepared to go that route yet. Hopefully the more people log complaints and reports their crashes etc... it will get a fix sooner than later.

Upvote 0
I have the N7 2012. It was sluggish before I updated to lollipop. Used to be fine then one day it was awful and stayed that way. Each time it lagged I would kill chrome and google playstore and it would be fine again. But I got tired of that routine. I did a ota to lollipop and got even more lag. So I did a titanium backup, basic factory reset, new account restore feature with my phone, titanium restore and now it's wonderful again. Still rooted too.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I have the N7 2012. It was sluggish before I updated to lollipop. Used to be fine then one day it was awful and stayed that way. Each time it lagged I would kill chrome and google playstore and it would be fine again. But I got tired of that routine. I did a ota to lollipop and got even more lag. So I did a titanium backup, basic factory reset, new account restore feature with my phone, titanium restore and now it's wonderful again. Still rooted too.
It's good to hear everything turned out well for you. My Nexus 5 & 7 have become my favorites over the last year of use. :)

Upvote 0
From everything I have read, even resetting to factory settings does not solve problem as the OS will stay with 5.0. There have been complicated instructions for removing the 5.0 and re installing 4.4 but I am not prepared to go that route yet. Hopefully the more people log complaints and reports their crashes etc... it will get a fix sooner than later.
Doing a factory reset is not to go back to old version of the OS. That has never been possible. It's basically a reformat and reinstall of the new OS. It will run better because there will be no leftover files or contradicting app settings which may have created errors in registry or something along those lines.

You know how a PC may bog down over time with use, or give errors, but after you reformat and reinstall the OS it runs way better because it's been cleaned out? That's the same reason for a factory reset.

Upvote 0
You want it to stay at 5.0, a factory reset just helps it run smoother. [emoji6]

Google gives everything needed for those who want to go back to 4.X

Upvote 0