1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

FTP apps?

Last Updated:

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for something that would allow me to log in to a server and get and put files. On my PC I can set up a connection with My Network Places " or whatever it's called. Then I can log in and drag/drop cut/paste between computers. Something like that would be ideal. I have Astro File Manager and its promo description says it has FTP abilities but I've looked through all the documentation and can't find anything about it. I see other FTP apps in the market but have a hard time understanding the description of what they do. What I do understand sounds more like it sets my Droid up as an FTP server, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Is there something out there that does what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Scott

Advertisement
  2. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

Would something like dropbox be what you're looking for?

Here's my referral status, if you do sign up.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg1MDY5NDQ5

You basically can transfer files between computers and phones. Anything that is in your dropbox folder is accessible by the computers that you have your dropbox software installed on, AND your phone with the drop box app on it.

For instance, I keep a document file of my friends' and family's addresses in dropbox. That way if I need to mail something or address envelopes at work or something, I have them on hand via my phone.

3. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

search for andFTP on market, it's a pretty decent FTP client if you're looking to access FTP servers.

4. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

I use this and works just fine.

Dropbox is a good alternative, I use it at work to share files and would be an excellent alternative if you can live with the free 2GB limit.

5. mcknigs

mcknigs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dropbox sounds cool but I already have a server with stuff on it. I've been staying in a vacation place with no internet access. I knew of files on my own server and wanted to download them using the Droid but it won't let me DL anything using the browser that it knows it can't use for its own use. So PDFs and DOCs I can get. EXEs and DLLs no. I also make audio recordings that would be nice to put on the server for others to DL. Can I use andFTP for this? Is there a way to use Astro File Manager for this?

Most of the time I have internet access but I think I'll occasionally need to do this type of thing.

-Scott

6. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

Scott,

andFTP will let you download anything you want. I have my server set up through DYNDNS and it works just fine.

I have Astro and it is only a file manager. Would be nice if they added an FTP plug in.

7. jdaud

jdaud Well-Known Member

Estrongs has ftp plug in I believe

8. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

Astro has SFTP support, just scroll to the "Network" button.

9. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

FTPServer

try that.... sounds like you already have a client, and do this regularly. so it should be a snap to figure out. LOVE it myself. I set it up in like 3 mins, and was transferring wallpapers, and music ...

10. Pottertons

Pottertons Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get a grip on how all of this works.

Dropbox probably sounds like the best solution for a novice like me. :)

Ideally, my main objective is to take files from my PC and transfer them to my phone/sdcard without adding a cable.

I've dl'd Filezilla's client and server, however I have absolutely no idea or clue as to what the admin pass is, how to set it up so that I can access my pc from my phone etc etc.

For the 2gb limit with dropbox, is that a limit that stops completely once it's reached, or does it mean that there's a limit of 2gb's per transfer?

Thanks.