full 3g signal but poor download speedSupport

Last Updated:

1. deanh

deanh Member This Topic's Starter

My download speeds have been roughly 512kps with full 3g reception (testing with the speed test app). I've tried *228 option 2 and the *22899 with no success. I have recently rooted but had the problem before that. That leads to my second question.
    I haven't called verizon yet, should I unroot before I do? If something similar has been posted im sorry, I could not find it. Is anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it? Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Downloads from the Internet are based on an awful lot of factors. What you see in Speed Test can potentially be somewhat misleading as it's not always real world.

Because the Internet consists of numerous backbone networks, numerous paths, and some really creating routing at points, any number of things could be causing your download performance to be less than expected.

What site(s) are you trying to download from? Maybe that site is having server issues of it's own at the moment?

In terms of unrooting before return a phone for service, yes that's typically recommended. Before the release of FroYo Verizon was very aware that people were loading leaked images on their phones. It's believed that they were stepping up their checking of incoming phones to make sure returns didn't include rooted and flashed phones. To be safe, it's probably prudent to bring the phone back to it's original unrooted state before returning it.

deanh likes this.
  3. deanh

deanh Member This Topic's Starter

Not just downloading but speed in general, like loading web pages. The only downloading i do is apps from the market. Where I live the only internet I can get is satellite. When I had an htc incredible 3g was twice as fast as my wifi. But now its the otherway around.

One time I called 611 for tech support and they had me call them back on different line so they could remotely access my phone, can they tell if its rooted from that? Root wise I have only done minor things such as freeze the crapware with titanium back up. All I would have to do is defrost those, uninstall the root apps, unroot and they should never know right?

Your help is greatly appreciated

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Without a lot of information to work with I'm almost thinking that you could be having issues with the cell tower in your area. If you live someplace rural enough that you can only get Satellite Internet, then it's possible that the number of cell towers in the area is also limited. If this were the case and if your local cell tower was having issues then it would directly impact your ability to access the Internet. Network access at the cell tower is typically handled by one or more Internet T1 circuits. If the T1 was pulling a lot of framing or CRC errors, or was simply overloaded, you could have great signal strength on your phone but terrible Internet speeds.

It's also possible that your phone could simply be problematic. In terms of root access, no it's not likely that Verizon Tech support could figure out you've got root access from a phone call. When you send the phone to them following replacement, however, they could then easily figure this out.