• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full Back-Up Question

It's been a long time since I delved into this kind of task and I think quite a bit has changed so I'm hoping someone can help.

Here's the story:
Phone is acting up so I want to back up everything so when I get my new phone (same model) I can basically have the exact same phone set up still. I don't think this used to be possible without root but now perhaps it is?

Here are the stats:
Phone: VZW GNex - replacing with Gnex under insurance
NOT rooted, boot loader locked
Android Verzion: 4.1.1
Computer: Mac Mountain Lion

Also as an aside, would it be possible to do this same kind of thing between two different kinds of phones? I'm hoping to upgrade to the GS4 when it comes out and I really can't stand how I have to reset all my ringtones etc (they're highly organized for my job)

It's been a long time since I delved into this kind of task and I think quite a bit has changed so I'm hoping someone can help.

Here's the story:
Phone is acting up so I want to back up everything so when I get my new phone (same model) I can basically have the exact same phone set up still. I don't think this used to be possible without root but now perhaps it is?

Here are the stats:
Phone: VZW GNex - replacing with Gnex under insurance
NOT rooted, boot loader locked
Android Verzion: 4.1.1
Computer: Mac Mountain Lion

Also as an aside, would it be possible to do this same kind of thing between two different kinds of phones? I'm hoping to upgrade to the GS4 when it comes out and I really can't stand how I have to reset all my ringtones etc (they're highly organized for my job)

you still can't do it unless you are rooted. there are apps that works on non rooted phones. it is called mybackup pro (there is a free version as well). found in the play store. it can backup your sms/mms, contacts, and apps and their data. Everything else does not get saved. it will store the data onto an sd card which you can then use on the new phone.

and i do not see why it can't work from phone to phone. it should, but some apps may not be compatible so it might depend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones