Full backup/restore on a rooted 2.2 OTA Droid X.

Last Updated:

1. cdmoore74

cdmoore74 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got a question for all the experts. Recently got a Droid X, upgraded to the official 2.2 release but I now have the itch to root the phone so that I can use density changer and free tethering.

1. Is it possible to do a full backup just in case things go south?

2. If a full backup is possible should I perform a factory reset followed by the backup to ensure a clean image?

3. If the phone is semi bricked will the backup fix the problem? I used lcd density changer on a droid original in the early days and it totally hosed the phone when selecting a very low density number. Could not do anything until I reloaded a clean rom from the sd card. I want to make sure that I can recover from such events on a Droid X running 2.2 by re-flashing to a clean image.

4. And last but not least. Does root access stay if I do a factory reset? Or is it there until I manually unroot?

I apologize upfront but I see a mixture of 2.1 and 2.2 tutorials on this site. Would be nice if there was a 2.2 only section for rooting and backing up.

Advertisement
  2. jr1125

jr1125 Well-Known Member

1. Yes

2. Dont have to; just run the restore procedure and itll restore to exactly how the backup was when you made it

3. If you are able to get into clockwork recovery then yes, just load up a restore file you have. If for some reason you cant enter recovery then you will have to flash the 2.2 ota sbf (which will return you to an out of the box droid x 2.2 ota)

4. Im not sure on this 1... Maybe some1 else can chime in lol

3. cdmoore74

cdmoore74 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response jr1125.

Does anyone have recommended links I can follow for root access and full backup on 2.2ota?