• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Full Backup

Hi, thanks. Samsung Galaxy LTE I9505, presently on 4.4.2.

The full story is a bit complicated. I changed the motherboard and ended up with a Brazilian ZTO CSC. So I want to root with Kingroot (seams very easy), and change the CSC to BTU, and update it to Marshmallow. But I couldn't find how to make a full backup before rooting because meanwhile I put a lot of my stuff in it. It has an external SD card with about 30GB free. When updating with Kies it didn't update without dismounting the SD card, strange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since I landed on these forums, a couple of years ago, I am aware of what you say and I have read quite a few of his posts, but I posted this as a general question after going through this specific phone pages. I picked the Samsung Galaxy S4 forum, clicked on Rooting button and posted. However, since the forums were reorganizes I am lost and can't find what I look for, so I can't swear that I posted on the right forum :thinking:.
OK, thank you Lordvincent 90, I'll wait for his rescue :).

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From what I could read somewhere on these forums, TWRP stays permanently installed and Kingroot can even be removed with the own app. I am thinking that if I ever change my mind about something, Kingroot gives me freedom.

I wanted to follow these instructions, but I need to make a backup before. I think I will be able to manage alone after that, but I am hanging on the recommended backup. The search on these forums is far from being good, and since they were reorganized I can find almost nothings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a app that use to get recommended alot to Backup data before root called Helium. There is a free and paid version at Play Store.
I usually try to avoid Kingroot if possible because it installs it's own Super user, Kinguser, and can be hard to replace with SuperSU. There is a paid app to get rid of/ replace Kinguser called SuperSU- Me pro.
The TWRP recovery method avoids all that and if you want to flash 6.0 ROM you will need custom recovery.

Upvote 0
Another benefit of custom recovery is the ability to make a Nandriod Backup. Basically a snapshot of your phone's system that can be restored if something goes wrong after root. Anytime you make changes in the system there is a chance of breaking something and without a Backup you will have to flash back to stock and start over.
Mobile Odin is outdated and the developer has created Flashfire to replace it. Both require root to work. Odin 3.10.7 for PC is the Samsung flash tool.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2711451

Upvote 0
Well, what custom recovery would you recommend? As for everything I prefer freedom, not something that gets hold of the phone forever ;).

I downloaded and installed Helium for PC and for Android. On the support page
Helium Support Wiki I read
Helium will NOT backup system files...

Also, it does not back up all downloaded applications. This is not important for me because I can do it otherwise, but I do need to make a full backup (image) before I start. Maybe that is not possible before rooting. Or is it? I can't fund.

Thank you Jfall63.

Upvote 0
TWRP is the recovery of choice for most. I don't think CWM recovery has been updated in a while.
I usually install TWRP as part of the rooting process. Once TWRP and SuperSU are installed I make a backup of the stock/ rooted ROM and save to SD card and also copy to PC.
Flashing TWRP to phone with PC Odin does not erase any user data. Same with SuperSU zip flashed in recovery.
To completely return to stock unrooted,you just need to flash stock firmware.

Reactions: Straydog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones