Full Exchange Active Sync?General

Last Updated:

1. jsward12

jsward12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have read where the Incredible supports active sync which is a win over N1 (not including the paid apps like touch down). The question is, does this phone support full active sync ie. remote wipe, PIN, and lock the home screen like BB's, Iphone and WinMo?

Thanks in advance.

--Josh

Advertisement
  2. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

If it supports Activesync it supports it. Everything is included in the retail package.;)

3. MCSEDanny

MCSEDanny Member

Is there a way to deploy a policy like you can with the iPhone Configuration Utility? I think the original post is looking for the same answer. You can configure iPhone, BB, Android and MS phones to point to your OWA server without the ability to remote wipe, force password and the sorts.

4. jsward12

Well, my question is more on the phone end not the server end. Does the HTC active sync policy match up to say Apple's and BB security policies. I know that Apple didnt really get their act together until the 3.0 update.

5. HelpMePlease

HelpMePlease Member

I just got my Icredible today from Verizon. I got my gmail, hotmail, etc working fine. When i try to set my exchange email up i hit a roadblock. I get to the point where i choose which folders to sync and try to finish up the wizard and i get the error "failed to create the account, please try again later".

I called verizon and they wont tell you anything except i need to pay the $15 more for corporate email. he turned that on and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!

6. czm2000

czm2000 Well-Known Member

appleaj and johnperkins21 like this.
  7. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, but sadly he doesn't go into the security policies at all (unless I missed something).

It doesn't matter much as I've already pre-ordered the device, but it would be nice to know if I can get my data plan re-imbursed. And I can only do that if it supports all of the security policies of ActiveSync.

8. jsward12

Well keep me posted, it was an interesting article. I work for an enterprise sized company (42000) people and our exchange active sync is pretty strict although the 3rd party apps such as touchdown work just fine on my N1. It would be nice to have it built into the phone as the app is good but kindof confusing at times.

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

The droid supports EAS. I did not read the article quoted above but the question of security depends on your network administrator. Whether or not reimbursement is appropriate has nothing to do with this discussion as far as I can tell. If you are connecting to an Exchange server from Ex2k3 thru Ex2k10 you do not need to pay any extra fees. But you do need to speak with your admin to find out if EAS is supported. If it's not you can still connect but just not with remote wipe, etc. capabilities. Exchange plays nice with just about everything from a BB to an iPhone to a Droid.

10. HelpMePlease

HelpMePlease Member

i'm fairly sure i have all the security issues taken care of on the server side: remote wipe off, password security off, activesync enabled. not sure what else i need to do. It acts like it is going to work and then turns on me. Love the phone so far, but no email is a deal breaker.

11. HelpMePlease

HelpMePlease Member

a little niave, but what is EAS?

12. jsward12

Interesting, I guess I ask, because the N1 has a/s but when I try to set up the account, it errors out with my phone does not have the security policies however touchdown works fine. So I am curious if the native htc a/s will actually work with out having to buy an app like touchdown.

13. HelpMePlease

HelpMePlease Member

Like i said, a little slow. I'm following now. Active Sync is enabled already.

14. johnperkins21

The Droid supports ActiveSync, but not the security policies. Many businesses will not allow Android devices on their network because of this. The question is whether or not the Incredible supports those policies, and thus far, we have Boy Genius Report saying they do, but no specifics.

And my point about reimbursement was directly related to whether or not the device supports the ActiveSync security protocols. If it does, then I can get work email on the device, if not then I can't.

15. jsward12

Or you will have to use Touchdown or another 3rd party app.......

16. swatman

swatman Member

So here is the deal. If your network administrator requires remote wipe and setting a PIN you need the Touchdown app. You could receive e-mails but they won't send from your device using stock Android. However you will send bunches of e-mails to your network administrator because of the security settings conflict.

17. jsward12

Swatman, does that hold true for the Incredible?

18. swatman

swatman Member

From what I've been told by the Verizon rep is that the phone will not support the exchange security policies. I'll know for sure tomorrow night though, my incredible will be here! So stand by.

19. johnperkins21

20. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

IamReady likes this.
  21. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

22. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I use Touchdown due to the fact on my Eris I couldn't put more than one account on. I have 4 Exchange accounts. But from what I'm reading here DI supports multiple accounts. (They must have paid Microsoft for that licensing arrangement) I am receiving my DI tonight and will try it later or tomorrow morning. I have 2 accounts with PIN required and 2 without. Different policies so I'll give it a whirl on the native client before I switch back to TD. Sorry for the delay but Fedex delivers to businesses first and doesn't get here 'til 6 ish.

23. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Verizon reps don't have a clue when it comes to email. I'll let you know, but I believe it will support EAS with or without security.

24. Umyaya

Umyaya Member

Are you able to have multiple calendars within Outlook (Main and personal) sync to the phone or will it only see the main one?

25. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Good question, I don't know. I do know that all my folders are listed and I can choose to sych whichever I want. I have some sub folders under my inbox and they show. But remember, I'm using Touchdown and not the native client. I guess I'll have to play around tomorrow, or if you find out let us know.