Full SD card = Lag?

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I have about 2 gigs of music on my sd card and my phone still runs smooth as silk. Then I put 8 or 9 gigs worth of videos (mp4's) on there and the whole phone started lagging BIG TIME. Like, lagging more than a...Err, slower than a...Well, something. I mean, I'd swipe from one home screen to the next and the screen wouldn't actually change for 4-5 seconds; And scrolling up and down through gchat IM's or in the app drawer was VERY choppy. I tried a power cycle and a battery pull to no avail. The only thing I did before this laggy behaivor started was dragging-and-dropping those videos onto the card, so I tried deleting them, power cycled the phone and now I'm back to the original smoothness.

I suppose I can live without watching videos on my phone (though, they would have come in handy on a roadtrip I have later this week), but has anyone experienced anything like this?

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

The class of SD card has to do with lag most of the time. Class 6 is the fastest.

3. daihl92

daihl92 Well-Known Member

how do you know what class it is?

4. gonzoguy24

Take a peak at the card. it should say right on there somewhere...like c2 or class 2 or something like that...thats what came with my droid...i want a class 6 but i dont really need it sooo

5. daihl92

daihl92 Well-Known Member

thanks. the one that was c2 is the one that came with the phone correct?

6. gonzoguy24

class 2 is what most people got yeah

7. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Right, but should the amount of data on the card be slowing down the whole phone? (

8. gonzoguy24

I don't think so but don't take my word for it. Most likely it may slow down if you have your internal storage filled. I have found home replacemetns and a lot of widgets are what slow my phone down

9. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Hmm... perhaps since the Droid only has 256MB internal memory (right?) it stores its swap space, or utilizes the SD card in another way to trade data back and forth?

I may try just dumping a few gigs of files that I have lying around onto my SD card now just to see if (and if so, at what point of used space) it starts occurring to me as well.

10. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

The 16 GB card (class 2) that came w/my droid only has about 1GB free, and no lag/problems, whether playing music or not...

11. carlz28

carlz28 Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    I only have about 2 gigs free on my card and everything still runs like normal. It took forever to transfer that much data onto the card, but once it was on...no problems with anything else on the phone.
    My internal storage is rather low on used space, however. Less that 10 apps installed. So that may be why I haven't experienced any adverse effects yet.