• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Full wipe required for ROM install?

Hey all,

rooted tonight, and playing with ROM Manager and Bugless Beast V0.4 (Froyo). I'm wondering... when installing a ROM using RM, it asks if you want to do a backup and wipe before installing. I have already done a backup and dont really want to start over with a completely blank slate once Bugless is installed. Is it possible to just install a ROM without doing a wipe first? If possible, should it still be avoided to prevent issues?

Basically just wondering if a full wipe is needed/recommended before installing a new ROM.

Thanks!

The general answer is this:

You should always do a backup, whether you plan on wiping or not, just in case.
You should usually do a wipe to prevent issues.

From my experience, with 2.2 ROM's, you really can safely flash to a new one without wiping anything. I've done it plenty of times without suffering any negative consequences. It is still a good idea (for the purposes of knowing that everything's working as it should) to wipe though. Since most of your apps restore through the Market, and other apps as well as app data can easily be restored through Titanium, it isn't too much hassle.

Feel free to go ahead and do it without wiping though. I doubt you'll run into any problems. Just make sure to do a backup first in case you do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones