1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Fully download Google Maps to device?

Last Updated:

1. p3r02d3r0

p3r02d3r0 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, this question may be asked before, so I really apologize for asking this again.

I own HTC Desire which has a built-in GPS. It's a really great option, but what really annoys me is this: when I use GPS, my data connection must also be enabled in order to refresh Google Maps. And since data packets in Croatia are still pretty expensive, this is not a option for me.

Anyway, the question is: is there a way to fully download Maps to your SD Card without having data connection enabled, but GPS only?
    So, just like with standard GPS devices.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. lohpsch

lohpsch Member

It would be great, but there is no way you can have Google Maps offline (Nokia Maps is available offline, but of course, it's only for Nokia phones).

Either you use a Navigation App or take a look at MapDroid (in the Market), not the same features but, at least you have an offline map.

:)

3. p3r02d3r0

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out MapDroid.

Are there any other free navigation apps on the market?

4. Good Old Bakes

Good Old Bakes Well-Known Member

You know I'm pretty sure that you can punch in a route at home and download it over wi-fi. If you stay on the exact course then you should be fine, its only if you deviate off course that you'll be downloading extra map areas.

5. APK

APK Active Member

That works for me, I have done journeys of 100 miles entirely off line, only thing you lose is traffic updates.

6. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

It's best to use apps like Navigon, iGo or CoPilot (I have all 3) if you travel. These maps are stored on the SD card and I am not restricted to driving a preset course. What happens if you have to detour because of an accident, traffic jam or road construction? These GPS apps are not that expensive and since I live about 50 minutes from the Czech border it saves me from downloading maps while roaming which is expensive. Plus the POI's included with these apps make sure I don't miss a restaurant or gas station on the way :D

note: If you don't do that much real traveling then Gmaps is ok, but if you're driving around and your data gives out I hope you're not too far from help :mad:

7. p3r02d3r0

Thanks guys, you really helped me alot :)

8. tiredhiker

tiredhiker Well-Known Member

Try LOCUS . It will let you look at maps and then download the parts you want for use offline. it WORKS !