• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fully rooted but still with S-ON! How?

SUCC FRIGGIN SESS!!!!

It FINALLY worked.

It was great to see the "The procedure has been successful" line.

I'm now officially S-OFF!!!!!

Now what? LMFAO!!!!!

Just restoring my GV2.7 backup. Am I right in understanding that I should have ALOT more space now?

A HUGE thanks to you all for helping me get my thick head around this. Especially SUroot, Hadron, and everyone else.

A VERY happy Andy.

Okay checked the size. Still 32MB free. I guess I need to flash hboot with one of these tables. I've downloaded the CM7 r2 one from AlphaRev's site, as I think this is closest to GV. It says flash HBOOT with your phone in Fastboot mode. I'm in Fastboot, and I have the image file on the SD Card. I cant see how to flash this new file though.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass again.

Reactions: AceMathias
Upvote 0
Fastboot commands are run from your computer over USB. The actual commands you need are on alpharev.nl, and I'm sure the root memory guide says something about setting up fastboot on a PC (if you are Mac or Linux let us know - it's a separate download from HTC for those platforms).

Edit: Sorry, it's in the ADB and Fastboot for Windows guide.

Upvote 0
here is what i did in sequence:

1. i used unrevocked to root my device. (htc desire gsm)
  2. i tried unrevocked forever but with no luck. it said "unsupported system" in the log file.
  3. i tried alpharev 1.8. no luck.
it said:
cat: can't open '/tmp/cmdline' : no such file or directory
it gives an error in alpharev.sh line 117: unarry operator expected
your phone was not recognized or is unsupported at this time.

it did not read any of my device data (CID. MID, HBOOT ...etc)
my device: htc desire
HBoot: 0.93.0001
PVT4
erase size: 20000
build: 2.32.415.3
radio: 5.11.05.27

what shall i do?

Upvote 0
question regarding s-off process. Note i am following the guide here:
[TUTORIAL] How to S-OFF your HTC Desire - xda-developers

Apparently during the aplha rev s-off boot installation it will ask if you want to install clockwork recovery. I have already rooted using the unrevoked method, my phone is PVT1 so did not use amonra. I believe i therefore already have clockwork recovery, should i therefore say no to this? Or is this alpharev version different and therfore should be accepted?
Cheers.

Upvote 0
trying to fastboot flash the CM7 alpharev partition table, having just s-off'd. Am really bad at using cmd dos type code, so may be missing something basic, but i need some help as this is my first time.

I have have setup adb/fastboot on pc following suroots guide. I enter:
fastboot flash hboot c:\bravo_alphaspl-cm7r2.img
into cmd and it says that AdbWinApi.dll is missing.
I can find it though in the folder C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools though so i know its on the system.

In the setup i pointed the extra location to tools, should it be platform-tools then? I tried this but the same error comes up.
Can anyone help?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
here is what i did in sequence:

1. i used unrevocked to root my device. (htc desire gsm)
  2. i tried unrevocked forever but with no luck. it said "unsupported system" in the log file.
  3. i tried alpharev 1.8. no luck.
it said:
cat: can't open '/tmp/cmdline' : no such file or directory
it gives an error in alpharev.sh line 117: unarry operator expected
your phone was not recognized or is unsupported at this time.

it did not read any of my device data (CID. MID, HBOOT ...etc)
my device: htc desire
HBoot: 0.93.0001
PVT4
erase size: 20000
build: 2.32.415.3
radio: 5.11.05.27

what shall i do?
i found that my phone has to be fully on .. i mean on the home screen, not locked. accept the pop up that asks for the root permission. then all went smooth in less than 5 minutes. thanks guy anyway :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Phew, phone still works. Nandroid got it back.
Right can someone please give me step by step noob friendly guide to flash the alpharev partition as i can't get it to work and don't want the scare of thinking i've just bricked my phone again.
Thanks.

EDIT: Have rebooted phone and checked the bootloader, says its cm7r2 rather than alpharev and the internal memory is now 287mb so looks like the process has somehow worked?!

If someone could post how to use fastboot properly then that would help me in future in case i need to do again. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Phew, phone still works. Nandroid got it back.
Right can someone please give me step by step noob friendly guide to flash the alpharev partition as i can't get it to work and don't want the scare of thinking i've just bricked my phone again.
Thanks.

EDIT: Have rebooted phone and checked the bootloader, says its cm7r2 rather than alpharev and the internal memory is now 287mb so looks like the process has somehow worked?!

If someone could post how to use fastboot properly then that would help me in future in case i need to do again. Thanks.

Read the faq in the "all about rooting" sticky thread

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones