• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Funamo parental control app getting turned off by my 8 year old

I recently purchased a BLU studio energy running android 4.4 for my 8 year old son. He has severe autism and is non verbal. He uses a text to speech app to communicate with people. He is also 8 and loves to play around with devices, watch youtube and do lots of other games and entertainment stuff. He has a kindle for entertainment stuff.

The phone needs to be dedicated to only this one application (and a gps tracking app) so when it boots up, this is the only app he can use. If we let him use the device for other apps, the battery drains to fast and he is not able to converse as well as he has to switch apps (and stop watching videos).

I tried applock and he was somehow able to get it to not start up on boot, then reboot the phone using the power button and get into whatever is on the phone. After this happened, I searched for something better and found funamo, but he has figured out how to stop this app from starting on boot as well.

Any ideas on how I can turn on some logging or otherwise figure out how he is doing this? Watching him play with the phone over his shoulder is not really an option as he won't do it in front of us.

I have sent funamo a message as well asking to help me figure this out (or get a refund).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones