"Funnel" all incoming calls through one # ?Support

Last Updated:

1. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to set up a number (e.g. Google Voice or something else) and link that number to your mobile #, such that who ever calls you first dials the "proxy" number and the proxy is what directs them to you?

I ask because I have the 10 friends and family thing and I'd like to do a "one to many" by placing my proxy number on the list of numbers (so calls aren't deducted from my plan's minutes) and having certain people dial that number to get to me.

That way, the incoming number would (in theory) be the proxy number and therefore static, so that I could talk to non-Verizon people without the calls eating into my minutes.

I know one question will be: "So why not just list that phone number on your 10 friends and family list?"

Answer: Because I want a dummy proxy number so that, if I ever (i.e. can't anticipate which numbers they'll be) need to make a long call to a non-Verizon #, I can just have them dial that proxy number.

Make sense? Is this possible?

I also heard from a friend once about SIP or PBX virtual hosting to get all my calls onto VoIP through 3G or WiFi. That's something else that sounds like it works (because that person mentioned they were setting it up) and I may try if I can't do what I'm requesting above.

Thanks...

Advertisement
  2. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Didn't you just describe Google Voice?

3. jrmckins

jrmckins Well-Known Member

yup ... google voice

4. Bearly

I don't think so. At least, I asked a friend who uses Google Voice and he says this is NOT possible.

When someone dials your Google Voice number, doesn't the number that shows up on your caller ID reflect the incoming caller's ACTUAL number and NOT your Google Voice number?

I want call forwarding BUT I want the forwarding number to be the number to show up on caller ID, so that it's always the same number for certain incoming calls.

The point of this is that, with Verizon's 10 friends and family, you can list a number (I am on a family plan, so I get to use 2 out of these 10 allocations) to call infinitely without it affecting your plan's minutes.

I want the Google Voice number (or whatever service) to ALWAYS be the incoming number, so that I can just list the GV number on my 10 friends and family exempt numbers list.

That way, the GV # is what I am connecting to every time, and I can use 1 slot on the exemption list but in reality be talking to many different numbers, none of which will eat into my plan's minutes.

Make sense?

5. Bearly

Example:

GV # is 555-5555

Random numbers that would reach you are xxx-xxxx

If any random number tries to reach you through GV, what is the number that shows up on your caller ID? It's the random number, right? Not the GV #?

If so, that's why GV will NOT work for what I want to do.

I want there to always be the same number displayed on my caller ID.

If I can put that number on my friends and family list, and direct people to dial that number, than the 1 slot on my friends and family (which exempts calls made to and from that number from burning the the plan's minutes) could be used to exempt MANY number that dial ME.

Get it?

6. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Google voice does just that. You can set it so every one that calls you shows as your GV number. Add your number to your FF list and bingo free incoming calls.

7. Bearly

Alright, I will try it!

I have no idea why I was told that you CAN'T do what I want with GV. Thanks for clarifying.

Hope GV does not require an invite...

8. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

Just to confirm what bug splat said, here are the settings.

[​IMG]

GV used to be invite only but I don't know if that has changed or not. There was a thread on here where people could request an invite from those who had extra ones.

9. rb3

rb3 Member

GV does not require an invite anymore. Thank goodness. That was a crazy process. You can now go directly to the website and sign up.