funniest list of *nix errors

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Advertisement
    alostpacket likes this.
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Gparted: "Since Gparted can be a weapon of mass destruction only root may run it."
  3. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Interesting, altough some aren't funny and many aren't UNIX messages.

#14 was lifted from one of the previous lists of funny Linux command dialogs that have been circulating for years.

#66: "file has bad magic" is a funny reminder of a recent thread. ;)

Likewise, #75 has been discussed here before.

But #45: "Guru Meditation"...that's from an Amiga, not UNIX! :p
  4. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

I would much rather see "Hot damn you need more Ram" than the traditional boring message lol

Nice find! they got me laughing
  5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

169. Data potato doo-wop doo-wop

haha
  6. nickdalzell

i still like the two here:

"Unto the root is born a brother" (translation of a Latin error msg)

that one about messing with mother nature and super vulcan has your name on his enemy list is too good!
  7. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I like the one for Aptitude, when you type a weird command:

aptitude "does not have Super Cow Powers".
  8. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Hmmm... I'll take seeing my program or OS working normally over an attempt at humor on a malfunctioning system any day.

FOSS has become mainstream, and coders are often paid by the line for their work. Today when I see someone making an obscure reference to some Sci-Fi genre that quite frankly I'm not a nerd and don't get, all I see is that someone has ripped me off by inserting lines of cruft.

I've spoken to too many coders who have not only defended bloatware, but done so vociferously, arguing that they can't be bothered to write good code "because somebody downstream will catch the errors", and invoking 'Moore's Law' as a license to write bloatware.

Well the way I see it, if I have to open my wallet every year to support a vicious cycle of bloat, I'm not going to have the budget to pay for both hardware and bloatware. Guess what? I'll choose neither!

I learned to write code on IBM mainframes that often had less total RAM than the L1 cache in the computer I don't use any more. I learned to write tight code, to keep refining it, and not get lazy when I got more resources allocated to me. Even after I became the IT buyer who took advantage in plummeting RAM prices and ordered new computers with enough RAM to handle the next OS upgrade, I never saw any such thing as "plenty of spare resources" for bloatware, and never did it myself.

/me steps off soap box

Carry on... :p

Still my favorite: "You don't exist, go away!"
  9. nickdalzell

kinda surprised that 'lp0: on fire' wasn't there