• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Funny contact list bug

Mipmap

Nov 9, 2009
I deleted retried this multiple times and it kept happening. Curious if any other Droid users have this happen with theirs.

I entered all my contacts manually when I bought it. On my contact list I have two people named on the list as "John" and another as "Johnny".

No matter how many times I deleted and entered this, the phone kept combiming them into a single person on the list named "Johnny" in the list with both numbers under this name, yet in "edit contact" the name would instead show only as "John" and only contain one phone number.

Finally I solved this in a weird way, by first naming "John" as "John 2", and then making the complete entry for "Johnny" and then renamining "John 2" back to "John".

I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else had some weird issues with it combining people with similar names. :thinking:

I had this same issue on a Nexus One with two contacts, one named Richard Jones and the other Dick Jones. Try as I might the would always appear as one contact even though they were clearly two in gmail. Finally I discovered that if you edit the contact, there is an option called 'separate contact' - click on that and the two contacts appear. Seems like it is a feature not a bug, although it certainly seems an odd feature.

Upvote 0
Seems like it is a feature not a bug, although it certainly seems an odd feature.

Yes, that is a feature. Works as intended.

Because the Droid will sync contacts from Gmail, it needs to merge similar contacts because some people have the same person in multiple groups. If it didnt do this, then people would complain about how it put one person in the contact list several times and didnt combine them.

Unfortunately, the feature is not very picky about differentiating between contacts.

The Motorola Droid: A smartphone....too smart for its own good. :D

Upvote 0
I had this same issue on a Nexus One with two contacts, one named Richard Jones and the other Dick Jones. Try as I might the would always appear as one contact even though they were clearly two in gmail. Finally I discovered that if you edit the contact, there is an option called 'separate contact' - click on that and the two contacts appear. Seems like it is a feature not a bug, although it certainly seems an odd feature.

Yeah, I do this all the time to seperate contacts. I also occosionally use the join contact feature as well. I will it didnt join similiar names by default though. Ideally you would be able to turn this feature off.

Upvote 0
It is a feature. What you need to do is go to the menu to "edit contact". Once there, hit menu again, and there you have the option to "separate contacts". Conversely, there's also an option to "join contacts" if you want to merge someone from your contacts into their facebook contact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones