Funny story; my 9yo cousin's iPad 2 vs my Evo 3D (iOS vs Android)

1. rockyyrem

rockyyrem Member

I thought my experience today with my cousin would enthrall my fellow Android peers here at forums!

So my cousin came over today proudly touting his new iPad 2. He came up to me and said "Hey Remy, are you iOS or Android?" I smiled and said "Android, man." His smile immediately disappeared and he let out a condescending scoff. "We're not cousins anymore."

My cousin is 9.

I was very amused by this so I proceeded to ask him why he thought iOS was so much better than Android. He said "It's so easy; Android is so hard." I laughed and responded "well, I find it easy to use; I guess it's because I'm smart." He quieted down for a moment, needless to say.

Next, he shot at me "I have more apps." I responded "I have FlashPlayer." with a wink. At this point, my uncle (and avid Android user as well) was laughing out loud.

Wanting to prove his point, he took out his iPad attempting to show me all the reasons his was better than my Android device. I stopped him at his lockscreen. I said "what can your lockscreen do?" He replied, "What? I just have my passcode to put in."

Queue the Evo 3D ;)

I pulled my phone out, and showed him my custom lockscreen, notification tray, 3D pictures (that really seemed to intimidate him, lol) and other fun stuff on my phone. Desperate to find another way to gripe at my Android-inclined nature, he pointed at my sleep/wake button and called me a copycat. (Adorable, btw, haha) I replied, iOS 5 is copying Android's notification tray, isn't it? He shot at me slyly "Apple has a reason for that."

It was a fun encounter with my dear cousin. Right before he left, I said to him "Don't get me wrong, your iPad is beast. Fast, slick, thin, easy to use, lots of fun apps. But when you become a man, come talk to me about Android." He stuck his tongue out at me and left. Just thought I'd let you guys in on a story pertaining my ability to show off my phone to the fullest! I must say he really liked my phone, no matter how hard he tried to hide it. :)

Advertisement
  2. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Well-Known Member

A 9 year old with an ipad. What's the world coming to? I couldn't get money for the ice cream man at 9.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Schools are giving students iPads instead of books now. And just having the books loaded as apps or PDFs, or something else. They reason that it's because it's lighter to carry than a backpack full of books. Then they also complain about childhood obesity and how kids play too many video games. /shrug
    CarrieK and heavychevy like this.
  4. deedub

deedub Well-Known Member

Great story.

I sort of look at Android vs. Apple like recreational boating, ie. the sailboat crowd and the powerboat group. They are both having heir fun on the water, but they are never ever going to party together. :)
  5. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

Guess as fast as technology advances, the world around it has to.

I think at 9, my Dad bought our first PC...you know, the old school bricks that basically took up a whole room.

Any way back on topic...I really cant believe that Apple is suing other companies so much, BUT blatantly copied Android's notification system.

Seriously??? Did the guy at the conference even joke and say "Yea its just like Androids?".

You telling me Apples best way to get a "good" notification system since 2007, is by copying Android?? /shrug
  6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Moved to Android Lounge :)
  7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I can here the kids today in 50 years to their grandchildren ...

"When I was your age, we had to lug an iPad 2 to class through 10 feet of ozone, uphill."

;)
    iron mongoose likes this.
  8. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

You could easily replace "my cousin" with "Apple representative" or "Apple Lawyer" (ouch) and this story would still make sense... and be awesome! lol...

Thanks for sharing. =)
  9. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Awesome story!!

I have iPad 2 as well, but Android blows iOS away.

Here are the things off the top of my head that iOS can't do (or won't do):

-can't tell what the size of each app on your device (you have to go to the computer based iTunes to do that...wth??)

-no real file system on iOS - can't drag / drop data there like do with my media files, keepass data files, PDFs, word docs, etc etc.

-No way to lock your email / calendar / contacts from guests who use your iPad (unless you jailbreak...which really sucks because jailbreak causes some stability issues on the iOS). WTH? On Android there are dozens of apps to secure your essential apps / info.

-no widgets.

-no flash

-iOS Google Maps sucks compared to Android Google Maps which is awesome

-non-user replaceable battery, so my older iOS devices need to be thrown away or spend money / time to break it open to replace dying batteries

-small 3.5" screen on the phone, vs 4.3" amazing 3D screen on my Evo 3D

-Safari on iOS has a max of 9 pages. If you open another link, Safari replaces one of the 9 existing pages with the new content, and you can't even tell what the previous viewed page was - it wipes the history away. Very very very limiting.

-iTunes sucks, especially on my Windows install.

There are a LOT more reasons why iOS is not as good as Android, but every day I get frustrated at simple, stupid stuff that should be very wasy to do, but is impossible on iOS.
    NoraMoran and Stuntman like this.
  10. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

My pastor's wife brought me her iPad the other day complaining that she couldn't figure out how to send attachments in email. I figured she was just a clueless user. Then I realized that I couldn't figure out how to send attachments either. Turns out iOS doesn't support sending attachments in email because it has no way to browse the file system on the device. I was mildly peeved and I didn't even own the dang thing.
  11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

what???? no attachments on emails???? aint that a basic need?
  12. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

That's what I said. I actually did some research and found that if you're in the gallery app, you can email photos. Beyond that, you're SOL unless you want to jailbreak. She doesn't 'cuz she's not a power user and honestly, it really doesn't make sense for her.
  13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

That's new...I thought Apple at least have all of the basic things 'down' and down well!!!.
  14. Remordere

Remordere Well-Known Member

Great story, this happens to me alot when I show those iSheep how a phone suppose to be.

They buy iPads for kids? WTF I wish my country has that money to burn.

Why not invest in better educational system instead of buying useless things. Yes it is useless, just use a locker if it's too heavy. I got fine when I was in school I have this massive books, I have a wheely bag, then no problem.
    NoraMoran likes this.