• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Funny Story

Kahroo

Android Expert
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
So yesterday my friend went to get a new phone since her's broke. She got her first android phone. (My Touch 4G...I think) And she was asking the guy a lot of questions. Then she asks me if this thing can be rooted. The T-Mobile guy says that it can't and that it's actually illegal to root a phone and you can get in really big trouble.

He then looks at me and says "You know I could call your service provider and tell them what your doing and you could get banned from them and maybe sent to jail. But since I am nice I won't." I looked at him and laughed. Then I said that they made rooting legal but it will just void your warranty. He still didn't believe me. He told me to stop pirating apps. Told him That I use root to back up and make my phone faster. He says if you want a better/faster phone just upgrade and buy a better phone.

But yeah rooting was made legal, so IDK what he problem was.

SIGH. It's times like that where you just want to download a one-click root and do it right there in front of him. :D

I wanted to but my friend wouldn't let me. I even told him to call the cops on me. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong. Though he did think I flashed my phone to the VM network since my HTC EVO V 4G (Or EVO 3D) doesn't say VM anywhere on it.

But not as funny....well sad kinda. A best buy rep was telling me all the good things about the iPhone 4s He was telling me it can play games, has Siri will have it's own maps and it can be jailbroken to do other stuff. I said my android can be rooted too. And he promptly said that it can't be fully hacked like the iPhone 4s can. And he said something about if I buy this I can get a discount on a MAC. But I think he just wanted to take money from me.

Upvote 0
Most of the TMO reps I've dealt with know my phone is rooted. They root theirs, too.
Since I buy my own phones usually elsewhere, it's not voiding a TMO warranty. Some actually prefer dealing with a rooted phone.

Yeah IDK why he was so but hurt about it. I mean the other sales rep phone was rooted. (He was restarting his phone and had the CM9 boot logo on it) But meh. Whatever he's missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Upvote 0
Yeah IDK why he was so but hurt about it. I mean the other sales rep phone was rooted. (He was restarting his phone and had the CM9 boot logo on it) But meh. Whatever he's missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Sounds more like the rep didn't really know what rooting was and thought it was just to pirate apps (my father had the same misconception). I can see having an issue with that (I am very much against piracy). He probably just didn't know what rooting really is.

Upvote 0
Sounds more like the rep didn't really know what rooting was and thought it was just to pirate apps (my father had the same misconception). I can see having an issue with that (I am very much against piracy). He probably just didn't know what rooting really is.

Yeah I am guessing he misunderstood it and took it for piracy. I don't like piracy myself. I mean if there is a app you want just buy it. I mean you can always get a refund for it if you don't like it.

Upvote 0
I wanted to but my friend wouldn't let me. I even told him to call the cops on me. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong. Though he did think I flashed my phone to the VM network since my HTC EVO V 4G (Or EVO 3D) doesn't say VM anywhere on it.

But not as funny....well sad kinda. A best buy rep was telling me all the good things about the iPhone 4s He was telling me it can play games, has Siri will have it's own maps and it can be jailbroken to do other stuff. I said my android can be rooted too. And he promptly said that it can't be fully hacked like the iPhone 4s can. And he said something about if I buy this I can get a discount on a MAC. But I think he just wanted to take money from me.

You mean you didn't buy it after siri told you what the guy's favorite color is? 'Cause thats all I've seen people do with it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones