Funny thing about signal

Last Updated:

1. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Back in Detroit, I would get 3-4 bars while holding it and a full signal if I set it down. Here in Bettendorf, IA, I get a full signal while holding the phone in my hotel room.

Advertisement
  2. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

this has been talked over so many times :)
    Any phone shows full bars at an acceptable level of signal. If that level happens to be really close to bottom threshold, you hold it in your hand the phone loses a bunch of strength, and shows decreased bars. When signal is strong, that signal loss when held in hand does not bring the phone below the threshold and you still see full bars.
    Any phone has this "problem". iPhone has it the worst as by simply shorting the two antennas with a touch of a finger a user can cause a significant signal drop.
    If you carry your iPhone next to a cell tower, you can try bringing that antenna gap all you want, you won't see any bars drop. So it all depends on how good the unobstructed signal is.

I have an area in my house (corner of my basement) where signal is not strong, and for the last 5 years I test all phones I get in there, to see how many bars they drop when held in various ways. The Captivate is one of the best performers actually.