• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future Android Builds

Jakbob

Nov 24, 2009
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I am expecting to get the motorola droid for christmas this year ( I know I am :p) and know that it comes with android 2.0 already installed. I've heard that there's an update (2.01) that applies to the Droid and was wondering will I have to do an update to receive 2.01 or will it already be on the phone? Also, as computer and tech savies, it is safe to estimate that google will continue to develop their android os to later versions (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.)
Do you think by the time these versions are released (1 or 2 years maybe?) that the droid will be able to receive those updates? I have seen new phones (HTC) that come out with ver. 1.6! , an old version. I'd really hope that the new android giant phone can handle future upgrades.

Thank you!

- I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am still new here ;-;

Droid should be updated over the air or if your lucky pre installed if they are brand new straight out of the manufacturers and they are updating them when they make new ones.

As far as future upgrades go, the phone has rom space to handle it, its more of a case of whether or not Motorola or the carrier will bother to do an update. It not a google decision. Google my makes android its the phone manufacture who decided what phone it goes into.

A lot of these new phone with old version are going to get updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones