• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future for potential Xoom owners??

Salt Slasher

May 15, 2011
I am wondering what is in store for the cool people who got xoom??

I just found out about ice cream sandwich, and it seems to be the update we have been waiting for!

I wanted to know what is the future outlook for xoom owners and what should we expect?? I ask this cause people are telling me that xoom isn't being the best sold product cause it is lacking things that it should have from day one!

I am just hoping we are going to see a wave of great apps that match/beat all of the top apple store apps. I personally love honeycomb, and I am sure when ice cream sandwich comes to xoom I will love it even more.

From what I can tell honeycomb will be a way for developers to start making great apps, that will later be ported to ice cream sandwich so when its in its release they have a bunch of great apps from the beginning!

I am wondering what is in store for the cool people who got xoom??

I just found out about ice cream sandwich, and it seems to be the update we have been waiting for!

I wanted to know what is the future outlook for xoom owners and what should we expect?? I ask this cause people are telling me that xoom isn't being the best sold product cause it is lacking things that it should have from day one!

I am just hoping we are going to see a wave of great apps that match/beat all of the top apple store apps. I personally love honeycomb, and I am sure when ice cream sandwich comes to xoom I will love it even more.

From what I can tell honeycomb will be a way for developers to start making great apps, that will later be ported to ice cream sandwich so when its in its release they have a bunch of great apps from the beginning!
I don't know that we will see Ice Cream Sandwich, but I am looking forward to all of the Tegra games coming out in the next couple of months. Galaxy on Fire 2 looks great, as well as the jet ski game (can't remember what it is called) that reminds me of Wave Race 64. Also, I am really looking forward to a Netflix app, if it ever comes.

Upvote 0
I don't know that we will see Ice Cream Sandwich, but I am looking forward to all of the Tegra games coming out in the next couple of months. Galaxy on Fire 2 looks great, as well as the jet ski game (can't remember what it is called) that reminds me of Wave Race 64. Also, I am really looking forward to a Netflix app, if it ever comes.

i agree the games look sweet.. I want the train one.. it looks like hella fun

Upvote 0
From what I read it seemed that Ice Cream was going to get rid of the fragmentation, by making all phones and tablets upgradeable to it, which would make it a standard cross device android software.

I also think that the dual core tegra is plenty for me, but when the tegra 3 and 4 come, I might end up selling my current xoom to get the latest. Which Nvidia is set to have the chips ready by August/September, So were talking Q3 release, or atleast by Q4/Christmas.

I think the iOS is the same ol boring thing while the honeycomb upgrade was a dramitc difference and step in the right direction!

Upvote 0
Well to be safe I bought my Xoom at CostCo for its 90 day return policy meaning I got until August to return it, which I am going to do espeically if there is going to be a new a tegra 3 by the end of Q3. Mainly if there is Xoom 2 or something even better like from archos.

Quad core just with in the last couple years became standard use in desktops and now its on tablets, its just amazing. I really hope nvidia gets the chips ready for Android tablet builders, cause I want to see more!

Upvote 0
Thats for sure, Kal El to Bruce is 5x, Bruce to Logan is est. 40x, and logan to stark is est 40x.

But your right, we are going to see the first wave of the future flagship tablets that will destroy everything apple has worked for. Thats why I have read about apples ipad 3 coming before christmas and that Xoom wants this asap, even if that means releasing Xoom 2 by September.

I personally think that Xoom will drop by the end of June, and by the end of Q3 the Xoom 2 will be here with all the goodies like you mentioned. For the iPad 3, if apple gets desparate and I assume they will if these specs and tegra 3 are in Honeycomb tablets by Q3 and even by the end of Q4!

I do like that honeycomb will be for tablets, cause once they situate the phone fragmentation, then they can do what apple does where you can either download ipad or iphone version, but with android you can either download honeycomb or ice cream sandwich versions!

I am glad nvidia is stepping on board, there help is going to help take down apples ipad.

Upvote 0
Thats for sure, Kal El to Bruce is 5x, Bruce to Logan is est. 40x, and logan to stark is est 40x.

But your right, we are going to see the first wave of the future flagship tablets that will destroy everything apple has worked for. Thats why I have read about apples ipad 3 coming before christmas and that Xoom wants this asap, even if that means releasing Xoom 2 by September.

I personally think that Xoom will drop by the end of June, and by the end of Q3 the Xoom 2 will be here with all the goodies like you mentioned. For the iPad 3, if apple gets desparate and I assume they will if these specs and tegra 3 are in Honeycomb tablets by Q3 and even by the end of Q4!

I do like that honeycomb will be for tablets, cause once they situate the phone fragmentation, then they can do what apple does where you can either download ipad or iphone version, but with android you can either download honeycomb or ice cream sandwich versions!

I am glad nvidia is stepping on board, there help is going to help take down apples ipad.

WE original Xoom owners BETTER have a working Micro SD Card (before the Xoom 2 is released) or Moto can GOTO HELL!!!! I will NEVER buy their CRAP ever again.

Upvote 0
I have found reports that show that Tegra 3 aka Superman tablets will available by September and will start showing up in phones by Christmas/Q1 2012.

I really think that the Xoom was a mistake as far as releasing a half built machine for people to test it.

From what I read there are two possible outcomes.

Nvidia has said that motorola will be the first to tinker with the new Kal El chips. So either they are going to update the Xoom with Kal El that has 1440p and 2560x1440 and whatever else they add, or we are going to see a new motorola tablet that will have the Kal El chip, and some that there is a chance it will be a 7 incher.

I think they might release this newer tablet with a new name, to keep Xoom owners from getting extremely upset. Once this new tablet is out they will probably have a 10 and 7 inch version kinda like archos, and then later maybe by christmas, they will have Xoom 2.

I just think that sounds more likely, but I do think that honeycomb Motorola and Archos tablets with Kal El will stomp all over the iPad on account the iPads are lame.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones