• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future of Android 3d Gaming is a better GPU worth it?

Hey all, so I wanted to get an Evo, but then I saw all these graphic tests and found The EPIC to have amazing GPU. Now I really like the evo for htc sense, bigger screen and looks. But I want the epic for its GPU. I dont care much for the keyboard. Im afraid the GPU on evo will be outdated and not run games anymore. Im afraid cuz my cousin got a Moment and he cant run any of the good 3d games, i got my pre before him and I can run better 3d games then him.

Should I get the epic just for the GPU? Do you guys even see android gaming taking off and using the epic's internals or will the GPU of EVO(Adreno 200) be fine for current and future android games. As I see it, most devs are using the N1 to develop on, so im guessing the GPU in the evo should be fine right?

or should I be safe and get the Epic GPU and be able to use the keyboard for gaming, but not be satisfied by looks? (maybe when i use it in person ill fine in love with the looks lol)

SHORT VERSION Should i get the EVO and not be worried about highend 3d games sucking/being laggy? Is the GPU on the Evo good enough because it is the current standard for 3d games? Dont most developers develop on n1, thus the Evo gpu will be perfect? Also I think A lot of developers are optimizing games for the snapdragons. is any of this true?

Well On My Evo, Sometimes It Lags On 3D Games, But That Was On The Stock ROM, With All The FPS Caps and Stuff, But I Haven't Tried It With CM6. But That's The Reason I Have A PS3. :p

Which games lagged? Did u see the lag issues get fixed with developer updates. BTW I get what u say about u using a ps3, but the thing with me is that i prefer to game when im bored, and thats when im on the go stuck at a relatives house lol. Sadly, I own a ps3, xbox 360 and wii. I never play them simply because i dont like turning on the console(lazyness I knwo) and wait for it to boot up.

This is really important to me, so I would love some more responses to my first post. Any developers out there that can address my initial questions? I would love it if all iphone game apps got ported over to android.

Upvote 0
Don't expect to play really high end 3D games on an Evo. All Snapdragon phones have very lackluster graphics processors, even the Motorola Droid 1 is a better gaming phone than all Snapdragon devices.

If you care at all about 3D games, get a Galaxy S phone or a Droid 2/X. If you don't care about 3D games, an Evo would be just fine.

Benchmark courtesy of Anandtech(Keep in mind that the Nexus One in this test is running 2.2 and the X in this test is running 2.1):

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/droidx_071910234059/23784.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones