FWIW: New LG Ally has 50% Time Without Signal Bug

1. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Just got an Ally today...trying to decide whether or not to keep it. As I was messing around with the settings I discovered that it has the dreaded 50% but just like my Eris. :(

Advertisement
  2. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

They need to fix this on the ally... I can't even get 10 hours on light usage.... whats the point of this awesome mobile os when u can't even use the phone cuz it dies in like 7 hours
  3. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

this is because its not a hardware issue ..... its an android issue....... eris, ally, devour, droid, incredible, all complaining about it........ dunno bout other HTC phones cause I only look around on forums for VZW phones....... but Im sure they are experiencing the same thing...... I do know the hero has the same problem
  4. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

Yep incredible are getting about 4 hours on standby.... Such a great OS with such a horrible bug... Not nice
  5. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I have the 50% bug, running Eris, and I personally have no problems going a full day two days on a charge.
    everyone is different has has different set up. I don't have 3g on when I'm not using the phone. saves me tremedous battery/
  6. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member

Anyone else here NOT have the 50% bug? Mine says 0%.
  7. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but how do you tell if you have the 50% bug?
  8. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Check:

Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery use > Cell Standby

Check the use details. Look for something there that says time without signal 50%.
  9. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member

Mine says 3% so I am good?
  10. It IS Lupus

It IS Lupus Active Member

Gahhh, that means i have it. Can anything be done about it without getting a referb?
  11. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Refurbs have it too - my phone is a refurb and has the 'bug'. I submit that since you didn't know you had a problem until you knew where to look, that there isn't really a problem at all. Some folks feel (myself included) that this doesn't really cause a problem on the phone. I can go 24hrs on my phone before a charge, to me that's more than required (since I'm rarely awake 24 hours at a stretch, and I always charge my phone while I sleep)
  12. rjj130

rjj130 Well-Known Member

Just doing a Google search, and posted this on the LG Ally sub forum.

My wife's Ally has this issue as well. My Incredible does not though.

Has anyone found any clue how to get around this issue? I'm reluctant to confront Verizon about it because they'll just swap out for a new phone and if it's a software issues then a simple phone swap will not fix it.
  13. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Try this method, it has been known to work:

"Airplane Trick"

Plug your phone into the charger.

Put your phone into airplane mode.

Let the phone sleep/screen goes black.

Unplug phone from charger

Take it out of airplane more.

(This would have to be done each time you power cycle the phone)
  14. ipenguin4

ipenguin4 New Member

Try this:
    Go to Market
    Search and download Advanced Task Killer Free
    Open it and click KILL Selected apps(there will automatically be apps checked and running)

If this doesn't work, turn Wi-Fi off. Saves a TON of battery! My Ally used to last, maybe 6 hours. Now, 28+!
  15. 5thAgent

5thAgent Well-Known Member

I really really really don't like task killers. I hate to call you out on your first post, ipenguin4, but my battery life nearly doubled when I uninstalled my task killer.
  16. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've had the 50% time w/o signal "bug" since OTA... and I really don't think it makes a difference at all. It's a glitch in the system, not an actual problem causing bug.

Battery life is dependent, MOST OF ALL, on the user. Make sure to turn off things you aren't using, like wifi and gps. Back out of apps to ensure they close properly. Check your sync settings. And don't use a task killer. They are just a waste of energy, time and anxiety, believe me. If you don't, go a little research here on the forums about the topic.
  17. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

I'm able to make it go away with only the following steps (The others seem to be unnecessary...):

Put your phone into airplane mode.

Take it out of airplane mode.