• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FYI, I just posted this over in News - some apps sending GPS and phone# data surreptitiously to ad s

There IS an app list. Click on the link that robphelan posted and scroll down, you'll find it. This thread is not useless, you just didn't look..... :/

I read the Engadget article, read the BBC article, and read the original research paper they're all based on.

Citznfish is correct: There is no list of what the culprit apps were.

They list the apps they tested. They listed the generic permissions they asked for. But then they go on to analyze how the apps used those permissions and what specific data they tried to send. They identified serious bad behavior, but don't specify which of the apps from the list did this.

If you yourself click on the link robphelan posted and scroll down, you'll see that this is mentioned and confirmed more than once.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why they didn't post the results. I read the PDF (http://appanalysis.org/tdroid10.pdf) report and it mentioned 30 applications of which they caught 20 sending personal information. If I have two of those apps (Bump and Barcode Scanner) then there is a good chance that one or both of them are malicious.

I immediately uninstalled both of the apps because I would rather not have the apps than have them installed and not know. It's pretty horrible reporting to report that 20 of 30 apps are bad and then not point out which 20 they are, especially when there is no way for us to identify which ones they are.

Upvote 0

Agreed, Barcode scanner has been around quite a while and I'm sure someone would have noticed by now if it was sending too personal of stuff. As to Bump, without knowing the parameters of the test, I would wager it fails because it probably doesn't encrypt the data it transfers when "bumped" into another phone. Evernote is probably on the list for a similar reason

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones