• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fyi...no need to buy a 4g phone before july 7th

jikhead

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
Hey guys, I just spoke with my brother who took his webinar training w/Verizon on the tiered data plan changes. He knew I was looking for wording about existing customers going from 3G to 4G. He confirmed with me that in his webinar, that it did specifically say that existing 3G customers that purchase a 4G phone AFTER July 7th, would still be grandfathered in on the unlimited data packages.

So no need to rush out on the 6th (like I was going to do) to purchase either the Thunderbolt, Revolution, or Charge. We can now wait on the Bionic.

I did ask him to send me a screenshot for proof to everyone on the boards, but he told me no because he's chicken S#%t and scared to do that kind of thing. So, we'll have to take my brother's street creds on this one.

He also wanted to tell me a data fact pointed out in his training: that said 96% of 3G customers use less than 2GB of data...and that 91% of 4G customers are using less than 2GB of data.

Good to know. I figure they may change this eventually but sounds good for now at least.

unlikely honestly. I upgrade people on a daily basis that still have 6 or 7 year old alltel plans (which are killer btw) and it never asks me to change the plan or anything about it. I doubt that vzw would for you to change the data thing, in the month + since the changeover I have seen nothing that would make me think vzw is gonna make you change it.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
unlikely honestly. I upgrade people on a daily basis that still have 6 or 7 year old alltel plans (which are killer btw) and it never asks me to change the plan or anything about it. I doubt that vzw would for you to change the data thing, in the month + since the changeover I have seen nothing that would make me think vzw is gonna make you change it.

I'm on an Alltel plan. They have allowed me to keep it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones