1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

fyi: sugarsync referral program kind of scammy

Last Updated:

1. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks to skeezicks for pointing out the following about the sugarsync referral program:

see point 11 on that page. the sugarsync service itself is great, but this tactic is kind of shady. i have written them with my complaint and encourage all sugarsync users to do so as well. complaints can be sent to support@sugarsync.com.

p.s. dropbox offers more storage space and does not take back referral bonuses (http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ox-referral-thread-only-post-them-here-2.html).

Advertisement
  2. oceanlight

well customer service seems to be responsive. reply from sugarsync:

3. skeezicks

skeezicks Active Member

Looks like you lucked out. Here's the response I got:

In other words, they were entirely unresponsive.

4. oceanlight

well i liked dropbox better anyway. i only started using sugarsync to supplement dropbox, because dropbox didn't have an android app. now that they do, i'll just stick with dropbox.

it's true that this policy is stated on sugarsync's website (obviously, or else we wouldn't be complaining about it until jan 1). so technically it's not a scam, but it's still a lame excuse for a shady practice.

weak.

GO DROPBOX!

5. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

That sucks, I didn't realize they were doing this. I guess it is just another reason to dump them now. As another poster stated, I only used them to supplement dropbox. Now I no longer need them on my phone or computer unless they can assure me they will not be taking back my referral bonus. Oh, and if they could fix their app so it doesn't force close every time I use it I would appreciate that also. Seems kinda silly that dropbox app has worked perfect and it just came out, but sugarsync has been out how long now? Oh well, off to email support, thanks for the info.

6. skeezicks

skeezicks Active Member

I looks like enough people complained to SugarSync, so they updated the terms of their referral program. Now all bonus space is permanent, for the life of your SugarSync account. Item 11 in their referral terms of service how reads "All Additional Storage received by a Subscriber or Friend under this Offer shall remain part of such person