G-1 on AT&T card with SIM swapGeneral

Last Updated:

1. enderandrew

enderandrew New Member This Topic's Starter

Can I purchase a G-1 from someone else, put in my SIM card from AT&T and then use the G-1 on AT&T?

My contract is up, and I can switch carriers, but T-Mobile doesn't have a store in Omaha, and their coverage is supposedly pretty rotten here.

I would much rather have a G-1 (and if you're looking to sell one, you can contact me via PM) but I may just end up buying an iPhone.

Advertisement
  2. bollo

bollo New Member

You can use the G1 on AT&T. You will need a data plan on AT&T but you will not get G3 speed, only Edge.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response. I found someone locally who wants to sell me their G-1 (precisely because we don't have decent T-Mobile coverage in Nebraska) but I'm still a little unsure about the process to get it working on AT&T. When my wife's phone died, she just bought a use phone on EBay, swapped the SIM card, and it just worked.

A Google search however about the G-1 and AT&T pointed me to someone saying I would need to purchase an unlock code from a website. Is this the case?

4. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Yes. You will need to purchase an unlock code unless the person who you buy it from has previously unlocked it.