G1 Accelerometer?Support

Last Updated:

1. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so obviously the G1 is equipped with an accelerometer and it is evident in SOME of the applications that are available to download as of today, but does anyone know of a way to make this work on default.. without having to open the slider to go into landscape position?? I would like to be able to have it in landscape position when in browser or rss sometimes without having to open the slider.

Advertisement
  2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

The accelerometers are only used if it's been written into the code by the developers. If they haven't done it, there's nothing that can be done (short of asking them to include it) to add that functionality.

3. gPhunk

gPhunk Member

Just an FYI - While it's not automatic, you can however change your orientation by clicking "Menu ==> More ==> Flip Orientation" while in the browser or while viewing pictures to see them in Landscape mode without the slide open...

4. CaptainMorgan

Thanks sleebus and gphunk.. maybe there will be enough people complaining about this to get it done...and gphunk thanks I primarily wanted it for my browser (I knew u could flip for pix) and while its 3 extra clicks...this is my first phone with the accelerometer so I'm not going to cry lol

5. foxahmed

foxahmed Member

it would be great to have this accelerometer to automatically detect it! well the hardware is there it just needs someone to write a robust code!

6. Kael29

Kael29 Active Member

The code is there, it just takes someone to edit it into the file, from what I gather.

See: http://androidguys.com/?p=2914

I assume you'd have to manually edit those for the browser/etc.

7. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

I read somewhere else that they wrote it in but turned it off because people liked it better with it off, not sure if I buy that but I can understand it. Hopefully google will make it an option in a future release.

Closed I'd like it to go by the way i'm holding the device, but when the keyboard is out id want it landscape all the time.

8. airprakken

airprakken Member

Not really. That code only allows the "activity" being programmed to have it's screen orientation controlled by accelerometer data. Per Android docs, an Activity is "A single screen in an application..."

Amplifying on what was said above by sleebus.jones:
    - The accelerometers are on and their data is available to any application
    - Each application must be programmed to use that data

This means that, as of now, the browser would have to process the accelerometer data in order to make itself change with the phone's physical orientation.

It would be possible for Android to be changed so that ALL apps would be changed based upon orientation data from the accelerometers. I have not seen anything anywhere which indicates that might become available but maybe someone else has seen something.

No sleebus.jones, I will not make a sandwich for you. :)

9. pillow43

pillow43 New Member

there's one app but it's still needed improvements on interface. anyway it gives you the use of accelerometer just go here
    ps.you need modded firmware thought

10. Patton

Patton Member

Doens't work for me... it says (operation failed), when i check the status of auto-rotation it says disabled.

11. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

Like pillow said, you need to have the modified (rooted) RC30.

12. slave1

slave1 Well-Known Member

Pictorial (a Picassa client from the market) has auto rotate built in.

13. CaptainMorgan

yes, i know that individual applications can have auto rotate, as i've seen with video player and some other applications, but I was talking about full functionality (across core applications and the OS itself ) on the phone.