• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rubi76

Oct 22, 2008
For those lucky ones who already got their G1s, a few questions on the e-mail settings.

Assuming that most of us have more than 1 e-mail account (1 for sure being gmail...), did you:

-set up your gmail account as the main G1 account and set up all your other e-mails separately

or

-set up your other email accounts as forwards / pop e-mails in your Gmail settings, to control all your e-mails (up to 5 accounts) through G-mail

This second method, in theory, would allow you to:

--Receive all your e-mails as PUSH e-mails vs having to PULL the other accounts manually

--In your G-mail screen you should be able to send and reply to e-mails as if you were using their settings ( the receiver wouldn't notice you are using g-mail at all). ex you receive an email on AOL, you see it in your google mail as an AOL e-mail account, you reply as if you were on your AOL account...

--Give you a chance to use G-mail like amazing e-mail features (archiving, searching, etc.) for your other accounts as well

--Be able to check all your e-mails on the G1 just by pressing GMAIL, no need to switch back and forth with the other accounts.

Could someone let us know if this method works well on the G1?
Does the PUSH work on all accounts? (it might just be real push on gmail, and a check on the other POP accounts every now and then, since it's not IMAP?- but my guess is it would still be pretty amazing)
When sending e-mails from a POP account on gmail does the receiver notice any difference?

Needless to say, e-mail is a HUGE part of your G1 life so anyone who has any inputs on their experience please feel free to do so!:D

Email consolidation is not really an option here on the G1. The Gmail application and Email application are completely separate. Hopefully there will be some type of solution later.
Forwarding and POP-ing your email to try and gather everything in one place is never really a good idea. I would honestly just set up Gmail in the Gmail app and set up any other email in the Email app using IMAP settings and set the phone to fetch your mail automatically. Keeps everything nice ad clean on the server side of your email address' :p

Upvote 0
Yes - I would propose forwarding your accounts to a GMail account (even if you don't like Gmail itself) and that way you can use the slick, smooth, and overall nicer interface that the gmail app uses instead of the email app.
Eventually, though, the practicality wears off and you really want a full fledged mail app to access the email of your choice...so here's to hoping that the dev's out there will create one.
As soon as an app like this is released, I'll be sure to write a story on it to let everyone know.

Upvote 0
Jake: I agree with your method, but for true push email i was wondering if consolidating would work.

freedomflyer:
why do you say the practicality wears off ?
isnt gmail a full fledged email application?

i am just curious on what you dont like about gmail, i like to hear it before I will set up my g1..

Upvote 0
Jake: I agree with your method, but for true push email i was wondering if consolidating would work.

freedomflyer:
why do you say the practicality wears off ?
isnt gmail a full fledged email application?

i am just curious on what you dont like about gmail, i like to hear it before I will set up my g1..
yeah I understand what youre saying but lets say you forward your email to pop in to your gmail i believe you are going to be quite limited with functionality, for example replying with reply with your gmail not that forwarded address and so forth. Try it out and see what works for you.

Upvote 0
yeah I understand what youre saying but lets say you forward your email to pop in to your gmail i believe you are going to be quite limited with functionality, for example replying with reply with your gmail not that forwarded address and so forth. Try it out and see what works for you.

when you reply from gmail it's actually the same as if you were using the forwarded address....
the receiver gets the mail as if you were on the original e=mail, not gmail.:)

Upvote 0
Using gmails pop3 fetcher, option B in the OP does work. I set mine up last night. The problem is that there is no way to change how often gmail checks your pop3 account. Looking at the history, it's only checking about once an hour. Pretty sucky.

Going to try to forward emails to gmail from my email server. The problem is I think this will break the "automatically replying with the proper account" that the gmail POP3 fetch feature has. I'm sure you can still set the "from" when you repy to any of the accounts you have set up but the last thing I want to do is accidentally reply to a business email with my personal account.

Upvote 0
Hmm, seems to be checking more often now.

One account:
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM
One mail fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM
No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:09 PM
No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:39 PM
No mails fetched.

And another..

Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM
No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM
One mail fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM No mails fetched.
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM
No mails fetched.

Certainly not ideal for me, but a little better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones