G1 help1Support

Last Updated:

1. kirstienia

kirstienia Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I'm not very technological, but I attempted to root my G1. Who'da thunk it, it worked! However I cannot upgrade my rc 29 g1 to anything else! I install the JF files 1.41, 1.42 and 1.51 (at separate times of course) NOTHING! I followed the procedure correctly, I changed the name to update.zip, I turn it off and then on while pressing home button.I then press Alt+L and Alt+S and I get this error message:

E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)
    ihave no idea what that means!! Please someone, if anyone, HELP ME! =[

Advertisement
  2. Ken Amisraelhai

Ken Amisraelhai Member

Obviously you are doing something wrong and not following the simple procedure. Please explain step by step what are you doing.

3. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

The problem some people have is when they rename the zip file.

It should be...

update.zip

Not...

update.zip.zip

Check the file and make sure its named correctly.

4. kirstienia

All I do is download whatever version I use whther it be 1.42 or 1.51 and drag it into the sdcard, rename it update.zip and then eject it from the computer. I shut down the phone, then turn it on while pressing the home button, then the exclamation point comes up, I press alt+l and then alt+s and I get that error? Any real solutions that can help me??

Also I know the file is name update.zip, that's not the issue.

5. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

The reason it was suggested is because in windows when renaming a file you dont change the extension (.zip) so you would rename it "update" other wise it will automatically be update.zip.zip

I would say your best bet is to start from scratch again just to be safe... get all the files ready and what guide are you using because as its been pointed out on other threads lately about 40% of the rooting guides floating around right now are either incomplete or incorrect on certain steps...

use one or both of these guides

http://androidforums.com/developer-101/3252-rooting-quick-guide-updated-3-10-09-a.html

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/12637-root-guide-stock-2-cyanogen-update-rom.html

6. kirstienia

Nope doesn't work =[ t says the same error =[ I'm working on an iMac and i did everything correctly, I dont know what to do =[

7. kirstienia

Alright, good news and bad news.
    The error has been eradicated, I had to compress the file on my mac. =] However there is a new problem, I get a new error saying there is no signatures and that the verification failed. =[ This is driving me crazy! Any thoughts or suggestions please? Thanks =]

8. kabbie_mcfeely

Are you unzipping the file ?

If so dont do that !!!!

If not not sure what to do. Wish I could help more.

9. kirstienia

I'm on an imac so when i download nething it is decompressed, however after it is downloaded i compress it and thats how I get the error =[ How do I download zip files on a mac without unzipping them?

10. kabbie_mcfeely

Not sure how to do that on a mac.

I am just guessing but that might be the issue.