• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 in France by Orange : no Google apps !!

ptitfredd

Lurker
Mar 16, 2009
Hi all,

I know that most of you won't be especially interested in what's happening here with the G1/HTC Dream, but I wanted to let you know...

I’m a french new user of the HTC Dream, that I bought from Orange last Thursday.I really love this phone and the Android platform, lots of potential and interesting things, but let me tell you how ANGRY I’ve been since I discovered that Orange had simply deleted some essential Google applications from the HTC Dream !

Here in France, no synchronization with the Google Contacts, nor with Google Calendars. No “IM” application neither !
Why ?? We still don't know...

That’s really stupid and abused, because of them, we have a Google Phone that has almost no Google applications anymore… This synchronization system, and the IM application are two really important and nice things in the Android OS, why did they do that ??

Lots of people feel angry, and we really hope things will change very soon, with an update that gives us back all that stuff…. I’m just waiting for that, to enjoy my G1 completely.

Thanks for listening, english speaking friends ! ;)

Can you access the Market to download other apps?

If so download the app useful switcher and see if the turn sync on off button does anything. It's a longshot but who knows...

Or maybe you have a cupcake build. You should post the os info from the about screen. Press menu settings and scroll to about.

i have the same OP problem
in the sync pane there gmail only, no contacts, no calendar, no im.

kernel version is 2.6.25-deb9915c herbert@and18-2 #11
build 1.56.901.2 PLAT-1.0_gms-135348 CL#11526 release-keys

there's nothing in the market and there's no way to gain root access with any of the different methods posted online

i hope this is a pre-release:thinking:

Upvote 0
it seems that the google apps are all installed but not accessible.
here's my application list screenshot, google im is there but not in the apps i can have access to

senzatitolo.jpg

Upvote 0
I am seriously worried about the root-ability of the new G1.
My bet is that since the new design it's been somehow re-engineered and seriously improved when it comes to protection systems. All the rooting hacks known so far are simply useless on this device.
Now more than half of the G1 market ie US & UK & Germany are enjoying their rooted phones, I wonder what's next for the new G1 that's being sold in French and is oncoming in Spain.

@Zazza : How did you manage to get a QWERTY and black G1 with Orange?

Upvote 0
Have you tried getting SAM (app store) client for your G1 from SlideME.org?

http:/slideme.org/sam2.apk

Anyone in the world can use SAM to safely buy and download with no limitations and without entering any sensitive info such as credit card details from your phone.

The only thing is that you will not see as many apps as you would on the Market, but with users help & input one day developers will realize that stocking Android Market alone does not do any good for marketing their apps to the international communities. Not to mention that the rest of the world will be hesitant to provide even their shopping habits to google.

So, you could look for apps on SlideME or Cyrket that has all the app on Market and contact the developer and ask them to get their act together to stock other stores such as SlideME.org for this exact reason. Not everyone has access to the Android Market!!!

Follow apps from Twitter / slideme if you like.

Here is an earlier announcement from SlideME team: SlideME Announces Paid Android Application Support via SAM

Upvote 0
Have you tried getting SAM (app store) client for your G1 from SlideME.org?

http:/slideme.org/sam2.apk

Anyone in the world can use SAM to safely buy and download with no limitations and without entering any sensitive info such as credit card details from your phone.

The only thing is that you will not see as many apps as you would on the Market, but with users help & input one day developers will realize that stocking Android Market alone does not do any good for marketing their apps to the international communities. Not to mention that the rest of the world will be hesitant to provide even their shopping habits to google.

So, you could look for apps on SlideME or Cyrket that has all the app on Market and contact the developer and ask them to get their act together to stock other stores such as SlideME.org for this exact reason. Not everyone has access to the Android Market!!!

Follow apps from Twitter / slideme if you like.

Here is an earlier announcement from SlideME team: SlideME Announces Paid Android Application Support via SAM
this really looks like spam...

Upvote 0
No, its called information in more than two lines for those that need ways to access apps on their G1 that don't have access to apps & Android Market. AndAppStore, handandgo, or others too. Take your pick.
you cannot call information something which is not related to the topic we're discussing, yesterday i dl your app cause i thought it was a solution to not having the google apps in my eu g1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones