G1 Seen at a CostcoGeneral

Last Updated:

1. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was shopping at Costco on Friday and saw a G1 on display and asked the sales guy about them. He said they are really popular and, "All the Costco employees have one." He was busy so I could not ask more questions such as, did Costco buy each employee at the store I was at a phone, did upper mgmt globally get them, or what he meant? Also interesting to note they didn't have the Bronze/White demo model, just the Black and the answer for that was "Costco only buys what sells, and black is all they bought." I kind have to call bull on that answer as I think they, like everyone are sold out and can't get that color.

I also checked Target which carries Tmobile devices and they didn't have any smart phones to speak of including the G1.

Advertisement
  2. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

I work for the Costco Wholesale here in Fort Worth, TX.
    I can confirm that the location here, and Arlington have the G1 for sale. Regularly priced as everywhere else, BUT you get a car charger and a bluetooth headset - FREE!

As for your question, "did Costco buy each employee at the store I was at a phone", the answer would most likely be NO!
    Costco would not do that. They are a great company, but it would not benefit them to do that.

NO WHERE (that I have heard) will sell the white model. Some defect? Maybe someone else can confirm? I heard that it has to do with the paint chipping!?

And as for, "Costco only buys what sells, and black is all they bought", I can't speak for the location you went to, but all 3 Costco Warehouses I have worked for, NONE of them own the cell phone kiosk. The cell phone kiosk are not Costco employees. They are operated by a third-party company.

I hope I answered a few of your questions, and ...
    I've owned my G1 for barely 1 week, by the time I saw it at my warehouse. When I went to the cell-phone kiosk salesman, and asked a few questions about the phone, he did not know much. He pulled out a check-list, and skimmed it for an answer.
    Apparently, for orientation procedures, they were not provided with a phone to work with. They have dummy phones there. He handled my phone then and almost two weeks later, he still gets excited over my visits, cause I let him play with the phone, view the App Market, surf the web, etc.

It seems that all the information I get here, and other Android/G1 RSS feeds, I have given him more information than the sales orientation 'check-list'.
    Now, when he sells a phone, he tells me about it, ha.

3. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks those were great answers. I figured most of them, but good to have it confirmed.

4. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

;)
    glad to help.