G1 Succesfully Unlocked

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Our newest buddies over at*Unlock T-Mobile G1 have brought us all some unlockin’ goodness after merely a week since the G1’s launch. Earlier, we reported that it would be just a few weeks before the G1 was unlocked. Well, if eight days means a few weeks, then we were correct. For a fee of $22.99, you’ll [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. HCSC

HCSC Well-Known Member

3. devdroid

devdroid New Member

I'm locked into Verizon for another year. Can I buy one of these unlocked G1's and get it to work on Verizon using my current phone # (and I'd stop using my old phone). Sorry if this is a newbie question...

4. mikeyrokschicago

mikeyrokschicago New Member

I hope your not being serious. If you are, no, no the G1 will not work on Verizon's CDMA network.

5. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I would say it was pretty clear they were being serious. Often times you will find that people come to forums just like these.. to get answers to questions they don't already know the answer to.

6. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Hhahahaha

This is what happens when you have ALLL different levels of mobile users. You have the people who just heard there was a "Google Phone" so they want it and know nothing else... and people who know the difference between GSM and CDMA.... two different worlds.

I think we can all get along... but basically to answer the question so you can understand in the future:

• AT&T and T-Mobile use similar cellular technologies so SOMETIMES these phones can be used interchangeably. They are GSM based meaning they have removeable "SIM" Cards that store your memory. You can take out this chip which is like a flash drive and put it in another phone and use it. This doesn't always work cross-carrier.
    • Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA technology which do NOT have SIM cards and therefore you can't use interchangeably. But, in some scenarios, you could buy a phone from one and walk into the other store and have them activate it (or so I've heard).
    This will probably be changing in the near future as 4G technologies come which change the scope of these inter-carrier relationships.

7. freedomflyer

freedomflyer Well-Known Member

Yeah guys, hopefully the difference between CDMS and GSM isn't something to squabble over...

8. Tabasco

Tabasco Member

Unlocked my phone using a code that I bought from the aforementioned website. Got the code few hours after I paid with Paypal and it worked with no problem whatsoever...although I entered my sim card PIN code a couple of times before realising that it was asking for the network unlock code....

Thanks for the info.

9. singhlms

singhlms New Member

just bought an unlocked G1 Phone in Dubai. My Dubai SIM is working. I made APN settings of my carrier and is working fine. But my unlocked phone has a gmail activation in its reseller name and when ever I start the phone it can not srinc as I do not have a password for it. EVen if I have the password, it will be of no use to me. If anyone an advise me that how to activate my own g mail account. And if done it should not lock the phone. Please help me out.

10. mafia

mafia New Member

Can someone help me I got a new G1 and when I turn it on it says Create account or login account I have a gmail account so when I try to login it says unable to communate. I have a t-mobile sim card but its prepaid can some one tell me how to unlock it? I read on some website that you need a friend that has a sim card thats a plan is that true cuz I don't got none??? HELPPPP:eek:

11. blakang3l

blakang3l New Member

i have a g2 i just need 2 get my contact off a att simmmmmmmmm pls help